Become a part of the sixth-largest country: a sing-along medley of mountains, deserts, reefs, forests, beaches and multicultural melting-pot cities.
The French term Au Pair means on par or equal. Au Pair in Australia to experience Australian life while living with a screened host family and caring for their children in exchange for room, board and a monthly salary.
This is a great program if you want to travel and earn money at the same time! Add to that great combo a loving host family where you will have all of your meals, a private bedroom and all the support you need.
Some of our au pairs tell us the bond they form with their host family can last a lifetime. We know some au pairs who actually fly back a few years later for a reunion or to attend a milestone event for one of the children they cared for. You will be able to participate in family activities, share cultures, make friends in your new community and with other au pairs in the area … a built in social network to make your time abroad a lot more fun, exciting and rewarding.
Becoming an au pair in Australia is a serious position … and while you do get paid to travel … your main responsibilities are the children you care for. While you might consider yourself patient, fun-loving and perfect for a job like this … think about how responsible you are and your previous experience with children under your care. If you’re ready … we have incredible families who need you right away, living in amazing locations in Australia.
Do you enjoy helping children with homework, assisting in keeping children’s rooms and play areas clean, preparing snacks and meals for children, and dropping them off or picking them up from school or activities? If the answer is “yes” then this program is definitely for you.
Aside from earning money while you travel, our Au Pairs have the opportunity to learn more about children and influence their lives. As an Au Pair you develop more self-confidence and become more independent. Living with a family in their own country gives you an amazing insight into that county’s culture, values and people.
- Depending on availability of families and their location, we can sometimes place friends near each other.
- 6 months minimum and 12 months maximum.
- $729 for six or 12 months.
You will earn approximately AUS$7/hour, (sometimes more) for 25-40 hours each week. You can budget to earn around $200 US per week.
You will receive a completion bonus equal to 2-weeks salary at the end of your placement. To qualify, you will need to have been with the family at least six-months.
Au Pairs in Australia Must
- Be between 20 and 30 with at least a high school diploma. Female Au Pairs are placed very quickly. Male Au Pairs can take a bit longer to be placed.
- We can currently take Au Pairs from the United States and Canada, UK, Germany, France, Ireland and Sweden.
- Have previous childcare/babysitting experience, and a genuine love of children.
- Be able to commit to 6-12 months as an au pair.
- Have child care experience.
- Provide a medical reference and a background check.
- Be interviewed by phone or Skype to be accepted by the family.
- Have driving experience.
- Have the Working Holiday visa. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia.
- Have references from childcare experience, interest in working with children and have a love of children.
Au Pairs in Australia Receive
- Placement with a carefully screened family.
- A private room and full board.
- A weekly salary of at least AUS$7/hour for 25-40 hours of childcare. You can budget around $200 US per week for income.
- The possibility to use the family’s car.
- At least one full day and one half day off per week.
- Applicants who stay 6 months receive 2 weeks unpaid holiday. If you stay 9 months, you receive 3 weeks of unpaid holiday and for 12 months you receive 4 weeks of unpaid holiday.
- Medical and accident insurance coverage.
- All au pairs will normally have weekends free unless specifically agreed otherwise.
Au Pair Responsibilities Include
- Living with the host family as a member of the family and the desire for a strong cross-cultural relationship.
- Helping with babysitting, child care and general household duties.
- Adjusting to the Australian culture and customs, while sharing your culture with the host family.
- Occupying the children in an interesting and creative way, reading books to them, taking them for a walk, taking them to bed, preparing simple meals, taking them to school, etc.
- We have families available year round. If you arrive in Oct. through December, we ask that you commit to at least 9 months.
The range is between 25-40 hours per week.
Informal orientation can be provided after arrival in Australia.
20-30 years of age. We have placements for both males and females. Males can take a bit longer to find a placement.
We place Au Pairs mostly in the Sydney area, as well as some placements in the Melbourne area.
You will need to get the Work and Holiday visa. The link to apply is located in the Details tab. The current fee is $365 AUD, not included in the program fee.
Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance included.
Most host families will pick you up at the airport.
- Not provided. Sometimes host families allow their Au Pair to have use of a car.
You will stay with an Australian family and you will have a private bedroom.
- 3 meals per day are included when you are with your Australian family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.