Become a part of the sixth-largest country: a medley of mountains, deserts, reefs, forests, beaches and multicultural melting-pot cities.
Being an au pair in Australia is a great program if you want to travel and earn money at the same time! Add to that great combo a loving host family where you will have all of your meals, a private bedroom and all the support you need.
Some of our au pairs tell us the bond they form with their host family can last a lifetime. We know some au pairs who actually fly back a few years later for a reunion or to attend a milestone event for one of the children they cared for. You will be able to participate in family activities, share cultures, make friends in your new community and with other au pairs in the area … a built in social network to make your time abroad a lot more fun, exciting and rewarding.
Becoming an au pair in Australia is a serious position … and while you do get paid to travel … your main responsibilities are the children you care for. While you might consider yourself patient, fun-loving and perfect for a job like this … think about how responsible you are and your previous experience with children under your care. If you’re ready … we have incredible families who need you right away, living in amazing locations in Australia
Do you enjoy helping children with homework, assisting in keeping children’s rooms and play areas clean, preparing snacks and meals for children, and dropping them off or picking them up from school or activities? If the answer is “yes” then this program is definitely for you.
Aside from earning money while you travel, our Au Pairs have the opportunity to learn more about children and influence their lives. As an Au Pair you develop more self-confidence and become more independent. Living with a family in their own country gives you an amazing insight into that county’s culture, values and people.
- Depending on availability of families and their location, we can sometimes place friends near each other.
- 6 months minimum and 12 months maximum. Because of the visa, you must choose 6 or 12 months.
- $649 for six-months and $699 for twelve-months.
Surprisingly, when au pair program fees and other expenses paid are compared with pocket money earned plus the value of room and board, au pairs earn more than they spend.
Did you know that being an au pair is one of the most affordable ways to experience international travel even if you have to pay program fees and flight expenses?
To see how the math works, press the red button below. See for yourself that being an au pair can be one of the most affordable ways to experience international education, work and travel, while having the experience of a lifetime!
Read these Blog posts from GeoVisions AuPairs in Australia:
Over the years we have met au pairs who have had horrible experiences when they thought they are going into a fantastic overseas au pair job only to find out the family where they were living was not screened, families dismissed au pairs routinely without paying them, and there was no one to turn to for help and support. No one to look out for them.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the families and the position and in some cases, we have placed au pairs with that family before. We make sure you’re being paid the highest stipend possible. We provide a person in-country to help you and to be there for you. You will meet other au pairs just like you and we provide social activities with other au pairs. In fact, if your placement doesn’t work out, we will move you to another family (based on circumstances).
Au Pairs in Australia Must
- Be between 18 and 30 with at least a high school diploma. Female Au Pairs are placed very quickly. Male Au Pairs can take a bit longer to be placed.
- We can currently take Au Pairs from the United States and Canada, UK, Germany, France, Ireland and Sweden.
- Have previous childcare/babysitting experience, and a genuine love of children.
- Be able to commit to 6 months as an au pair.
- Have child care experience.
- Provide a medical reference and a background check.
- Be interviewed by phone or Skype to be accepted by the family.
- Have driving experience.
- Have the Working Holiday visa. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia.
- Have references from childcare experience, interest in working with children and have a love of children.
Au Pairs in Australia Receive
- Placement with a carefully screened family.
- A private room and full board.
- A weekly salary of at least AUS$7/hour for 25-40 hours of childcare. You can budget around $200 US per week for income.
- The possibility to use the family’s car.
- At least one full day and one half day off per week.
- Applicants who stay 12 months receive 1 week unpaid holiday.
- 6 and 12 month au pairs receive an end of program bonus from the host family.
- Medical and accident insurance coverage.
- All au pairs will normally have weekends free unless specifically agreed otherwise.
Au Pair Responsibilities Include
- Living with the host family as a member of the family and the desire for a strong cross-cultural relationship.
- Helping with babysitting, child care and general household duties.
- Adjusting to the Australian culture and customs, while sharing your culture with the host family.
- Occupying the children in an interesting and creative way, reading books to them, taking them for a walk, taking them to bed, preparing simple meals, taking them to school, etc.
We have families available year round.
The range is between 25-40 hours per week.
Informal orientation can be provided after arrival in Australia.
18-30 years of age. We have placements for both males and females. Males can take a bit longer to find a placement.
We place Au Pairs mostly in the Sydney area, as well as some placements in the Brisbane area.
You will need to get the Work and Holiday visa. To read up on current fees and requirements, use the link we have provided. The cost of this visa is not included in the program fee.
Your continued good health and your safety are paramount to GeoVisions. Access to medical treatment keeps you safe, healthy and participating on the program.
Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance is included for US citizens as long as you are on the program.
Under the current insurance laws in the United States, we are unable to insure participants outside the US on our policy, which we have obtained from Travel Guard. However, if you live outside the US we hope you will still participate with us. You will need to scan your proof of insurance and send it to us.
Yeah. We know. These laws make no sense to us either.
Most host families will pick you up at the airport.
Not provided. Sometimes host families allow their Au Pair to have use of a car.
You will stay with an Australian family and you will have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your Australian family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.