Travel around Australia and get paid. Provide child care to a screened host family.
Being an au pair in Australia is a great program if you want to travel and earn money at the same time! Add to that great combo a loving host family where you will have all of your meals, a private bedroom and all the support you need.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 30, we’re interested in having you join us. All we need to begin is for you to hold a passport from the United States, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Ireland and Sweden. We will screen your host family, ensuring you have a safe, comfortable environment and that they are a suitable host. We will also provide you with a clear set of guidelines and expectations that are set with your host family. We will also help you make new friends during your time there. We organize monthly meet ups with free coffee and cake and also give away travel prizes.
Your private room and meals are included with your placement fee. Provide 25-40 hours each week of child care for the family and you’ll be paid around $200 AUS each week. During your time off you will have plenty of time to meet other au pairs and travel around Australia.
Some of our au pairs tell us the bond they form with their host family can last a lifetime. We know some au pairs who actually fly back a few years later for a reunion or to attend a milestone event for one of the children they cared for. You will be able to participate in family activities, share cultures, make friends in your new community and with other au pairs in the area … a built in social network to make your time abroad a lot more fun, exciting and rewarding.
Becoming an au pair in Australia is a serious position … and while you do get paid to travel … your main responsibilities are the children you care for. While you might consider yourself patient, fun-loving and perfect for a job like this … think about how responsible you are and your previous experience with children under your care. If you’re ready … we have incredible families who need you right away, living in amazing locations in Australia
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Australia, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications as you become an au pair in Australia.
Do you enjoy helping children with homework, assist in keeping children’s rooms and play areas clean, preparing snacks and meals for children, and dropping them off or picking them up from school or activities? If the answer is “yes” then this program is definitely for you.
This is a great program for people who want to experience life in Australia and the Australian culture in-depth. The program has a focus on you providing child care for the family, who in turn will pay you. But there is also a big cultural exchange component, and host families are excited to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.
Aside from earning money while you travel, our Au Pairs have the opportunity to learn more about children and influence their lives. As an Au Pair you develop more self-confidence and become more independent. Living with a family in their own country gives you an amazing insight into that county’s culture, values and people.
Your Work and Holiday Visa is good for 12-months. You can work as an au pair for six months and then find a different kind of job for the other six months after you get to know Australia. You can use your visa to work as an au pair for one family the first six months and a new family the last six months. You can certainly stay with the same family a year if you like. It’s your visa. Talk to us about how you’d like to utilize it.
- Depending on availability of families and their location, we can sometimes place friends near each other.
- 6 months minimum and 12 months maximum. Because of the visa, you must choose 6 or 12 months.
- $699 for six or twelve months.
Surprisingly, when au pair program fees and other expenses paid are compared with pocket money earned plus the value of room and board, au pairs earn more than they spend. Did you know that being an au pair is one of the most affordable ways to experience international travel even if you have to pay program fees and flight expenses?
- $699 placement fee.
- $1,334 airfare. We used STA Travel and Chicago as the departure city.
- $400 Work and Holiday visa to enter Australia as an Au Pair. Do this online and pay with a credit card.
- TOTAL COSTS: $2,533
How Much Will I Make?
- $10,800 salary including ending bonus. This is around $200 a week and a $400 end of program bonus. To qualify for the bonus, you’ll need to be an Au Pair with the same family for one year. 6 month au pairs also receive an end bonus.
- You get 2 consecutive days off each week and your health and accident insurance is paid.
- You will make around $10,800 over the year as an Au Pair.
- You will spend around $2,533 to get there.
- That means you could clear about $8,267! And your room and board are covered too!
- For 12-month au pairs you will receive a one-week vacation week (unpaid).
- 6 month and 12 month au pairs receive a $400 end of program bonus.
- Don’t forget that the value of your room (you don’t have to pay rent) and meals (you don’t have to buy food) is approximately $14,100 for a year. This figure is based on the cost of staying in Australian hostels and eating the lowest cost meals.
Why Is There A Placement Fee? It’s like I’m paying to get a job.
Over the years we have met au pairs who have had horrible experiences when they thought they were going into a fantastic overseas au pair job only to find out the family where they were living was not screened, families dismissed au pairs routinely without paying them, and there was no one to turn to for help and support. No one to look out for them. And because they were on their own, they were lonely.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the families and the position and in some cases, we have placed au pairs with that family before. We make sure you’re being paid the highest stipend possible. We provide a person in-country to help you and to be there for you. You will meet other au pairs just like you and we provide social activities with other au pairs. In fact, if your placement doesn’t work out, we will move you to another family (based on circumstances).
Can I choose my location?
You cannot choose your location in Australia. Most Australians live along the coast, and most of them live in cities – 89% of Australians, in fact. It follows that cities here are a lot of fun. Sydney is a glamorous collusion of beaches, boutiques and bars. Most of our au pairs in Australia are placed in Sydney, with some heading to Brisbane. Brisbane is a subtropical town on the way up. No matter which city you’re wheeling into, you’ll never go wanting for an offbeat theatre production, a rockin’ live band, lofty art-gallery opening, movie launch or music festival mosh.
What if I don’t like my placement when I arrive or I have host family issues? Can I move?
Before you depart, we connect you via email, phone and Skype with your new host family. You’ll have all the details you want before you ever leave home. GeoVisions spends a great deal of time on match-making. It is the only way the program will be successful. There needs to be a “connection” between you and your host family. You will Skype, call or email your family before you pay the balance of your program fees. It’s the only way everyone will be happy.
But after you arrive if you’re having issues, we have a way to start the process to fix things or, change your placement, if necessary. This is extremely rare, but we’ve done this long enough to know things can come up on all sides.
Can I be placed with someone? I’d like to travel with a friend.
Unfortunately, host families needing an au pair have the room for one extra person in the home. So we are unable to provide a homestay for anyone except one au pair per household. If you want to apply with someone else, they would be placed with another family. We would try hard to find a host family so you would be close to one another, but we could not guarantee that. We are successful most of the time.
If you’re set on traveling with someone and they must be close by, take a look at our other program types, because we do have those kinds of placements. Give us a call and ask.
Au Pairs in Australia Must
- Be between 18 and 30 with at least a high school diploma. Female Au Pairs are placed very quickly. Male Au Pairs can take a bit longer to be placed.
- We can currently take Au Pairs from the United States and Canada, UK, Germany, France, Ireland and Sweden.
- Have previous childcare/babysitting experience, and a genuine love of children.
- Be able to commit to 6 months as an au pair.
- Have child care experience.
- Provide a medical reference and a background check.
- Be interviewed by phone or Skype to be accepted by the family.
- Have driving experience.
- Have the Working Holiday visa. This visa allows you to live and work in Australia.
- Have references from childcare experience, interest in working with children and have a love of children.
Au Pairs in Australia Receive
- Placement with a carefully screened family.
- A private room and full board.
- A weekly salary of at least AUS$7/hour for 25-40 hours of childcare. You can budget around $200 AUS per week for income.
- The possibility to use the family’s car.
- At least one full day and one half day off per week.
- Applicants who stay 12 months receive 1 week unpaid holiday.
- 6 and 12 month au pairs receive an end of program bonus from the host family.
- Medical and accident insurance coverage if you are from the US.
- Here are plenty of examples, written by our au pairs in Australia, from our SeekExperiences Blog.
- All au pairs will normally have weekends free unless specifically agreed otherwise.
Au Pair Responsibilities Include
- Living with the host family as a member of the family and the desire for a strong cross-cultural relationship.
- Helping with babysitting, child care and general household duties.
- Adjusting to the Australian culture and customs, while sharing your culture with the host family.
- Occupying the children in an interesting and creative way, reading books to them, taking them for a walk, taking them to bed, preparing simple meals, taking them to school, etc.
We have families available year round.
The range is between 25-40 hours per week.
After your arrival, you will receive a timetable with duties and working days/hours, so you know exactly the working time. The family must respect your time off. Should the family require you to work outside the usual working hours this must be agreed by both sides and any extra hours worked must be paid.
Au pairs must have 2 consecutive days off per week. We usually recommend weekends. If you are required to work weekends, you will have 2 consecutive days during the week and at least one full weekend per month.
Informal orientation can be provided after arrival in Australia.
18-30 years of age. We have placements for both males and females. Males can take a bit longer to find a placement.
We place Au Pairs mostly in the Sydney area, as well as some placements in the Brisbane area.
You will need to get the Work and Holiday visa. To read up on current fees and requirements, use the link we have provided. The cost of this visa is not included in the program fee.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Most host families will pick you up at the airport.
Not provided. Sometimes host families allow their Au Pair to have use of a car.
You will stay with an Australian family and you will have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your Australian family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.
NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!