If you get it right, traveling in the bel paese (beautiful country) is one of those rare experiences in life that cannot be overrated.
GeoVisions Au Pairs travel to Italy to experience Italian life while living with an Italian family and caring for their children in exchange for room, board and a monthly salary. Being an Au Pair in Italy is one of the best international jobs there is.
This is a great program if you want to travel and earn money at the same time! Add to that great combo a loving host family where you will have all of your meals, a private bedroom and all the support you need.
Some of our au pairs tell us the bond they form with their host family can last a lifetime. We know some au pairs who actually fly back a few years later for a reunion or to attend a milestone event for one of the children they cared for. You will be able to participate in family activities, share cultures, make friends in your new community and with other au pairs in the area … a built in social network to make your time abroad a lot more fun, exciting and rewarding.
Becoming an au pair in Italy is a serious position … and while you do get paid to travel … your main responsibilities are the children you care for. While you might consider yourself patient, fun-loving and perfect for a job like this … think about how responsible you are and your previous experience with children under your care. If you’re ready … we have incredible families who need you right away, living in amazing locations in Italy.
Do you enjoy helping children with homework, assisting in keeping children’s rooms and play areas clean, preparing snacks and meals for children, and dropping them off or picking them up from school or activities? If the answer is “yes” then this program is definitely for you.
Aside from earning money while you travel, our Au Pairs have the opportunity to learn more about children and influence their lives. As an Au Pair you develop more self-confidence and become more independent. Living with a family in their own country gives you an amazing insight into that county’s culture, values and people.
- For short-term Summer Au Pair, 2-months is the minimum and 3-months is the maximum. Long-Term Au Pair for 6-12 months also available.
- $849 for the short-term Au Pair program (2-3 months), and $699 for the 6-12 month program.
You will earn approximately 80€ per week, which is approximately US$87 of weekly income.
Surprisingly, when au pair program fees and other expenses paid are compared with pocket money earned plus the value of room and board, au pairs earn more than they spend.
Did you know that being an au pair is one of the most affordable ways to experience international travel even if you have to pay program fees and flight expenses?
To see how the math works, press the red button below. See for yourself that being an au pair can be one of the most affordable ways to experience international education, work and travel, while having the experience of a lifetime!
Over the years we have met au pairs who have had horrible experiences when they thought they are going into a fantastic overseas au pair job only to find out the family where they were living was not screened, families dismissed au pairs routinely without paying them, and there was no one to turn to for help and support. No one to look out for them.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the families and the position and in some cases, we have placed au pairs with that family before. We make sure you’re being paid the highest salary possible. We provide a formal orientation, and we provide a person in-country to help you and to be there for you. You will meet other au pairs just like you and we provide social activities with other au pairs. In fact, if your placement doesn’t work out, we will move you to another family (based on circumstances).
Why do we have good news for you? For citizens of Australia, Canada or New Zealand … it’s as easy as obtaining a Working Holiday Visa.
Receiving the Italy Working Holiday Visa means you do NOT have to take language courses when you enter Italy longer than 3-months. US Citizens are not allowed to apply for the Italy Working Holiday Visa and to Au Pair for a year US Citizens must apply for and receive the student visa, and take language courses during their stay. This will save Canadian, Australian and New Zealand citizens thousands of dollars over the course of the year.
Italy Working Holiday Visa Information
Italy has a working Holiday visa available to New Zealand, Australian And Canadian Citizens
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be a citizen of New Zealand, Australia or Canada.
- Satisfy the visa officer that his/her primary intention is to holiday in the Italian Republic, with employment being an incidental rather than a primary reason for the visit.
- Be aged between eighteen (18) and thirty (30) years, both inclusive, at the time of application; (35 for Canadians).
- Not accompanied by children.
- Possess a valid New Zealand, Canadian or Australian passport.
- Possess a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket.
- Possess sufficient funds for his/her maintenance during the period of stay in the Italian Republic.
- Pays the prescribed working holiday visa application fee.
- Agrees to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in the Italian Republic.
This is a brief & general summary. Visa requirements and the number of working holiday visas allocated in countries each year can vary and new agreements are being made regularly so we recommended you attain complete and up to date official information from the Italian Embassy or consulate in your home country before making any work and travel plans.
New Zealand Citizens
To apply or for further information contact The Italian Embassy In Wellington.
For further information on working holiday agreements between Australia and Italy visit the Embassy Of Italy In Canberra.
For Further Information Contact The Embassy Of Italy In Ottawa.
Citizens of full European (EFTA, EEA) Member Countries are able to live and work in Italy without a visa or work permit. There is no visa application, no classes to take. GeoVisions will supply an eager host family who has been screened and EU citizens just need to show up on the agreed upon date to begin the Au Pair duties.
Au Pairs in Italy Must
- Be between 20 and 27 with at least a high school diploma.
- We can currently take Au Pairs from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland.
- Have previous childcare/babysitting experience, and a genuine love of children.
- Be able to commit a minimum of 2-3 months as a short-term aupair and from six months to a year for a long-term aupair.
- Have basic skills in Italian and motivated to achieve a higher fluency.
- Have driving experience.
- Be able to swim.
Information on Italian Host families
- Age of Children: Most families have school age children. If there is a baby, the au pair’s main task is to look after the older children, or help the mother with the baby. The au pair should not have sole charge of a child less than two years old.
- Expectations for the Au Pair: An au pair has to be fully reliable when looking after the children. The Au Pair has to take part in the family life and routine. Meal time is very important in Italy, and au pairs should be prepared to spend some time speaking with the family during the evening meal. They should help with the meal as a member of the family.
Au Pairs in Italy Receive
- Placement with a carefully screened family.
- A private room and full board.
- A stipend of approximately 80€ (Euros) per week for up to 30 hours of baby sitting. Currently that amount would be approximately $85 US per week. More hours per week, will usually receive a higher weekly stipend.
- Help and support as needed from GeoVisions’ partner au pair agency.
- At least one full day off per week.
- Free time, usually mornings or afternoons. 1 day a week completely free (usually Sunday) and if you are on the 40 hour track, you also receive either 2 days off each week or 1 day and 2 half days off. There are normally 2 to 3 evenings each week that you are free for outings with friends.
- Medical and accident insurance coverage.
Au Pair Responsibilities Include
- Living with the host family as a member of the family and the desire for a strong cross-cultural relationship.
- Helping with babysitting, child care and general household duties.
- Assisting the Italian family with English language as desired.
- Adjusting to the Italian culture and customs, while sharing your culture and language with the family.
We can accept placements year round. We can even place short-term au pairs (with some time) during the year.
30 to 40 hours per week. This is decided before you ever accept your placement.
Included. A formal orientation is included before your duties begin.
Language schools may be located in your area. Classes are at your expense and are optional. Transportation to and from these classes is included.
20-27 years of age.
Cities and towns all around Italy.
You should not need a visa for the short-term program. For the long-term program a visa will be required (unless you are a citizen of the EU). Those visa fees are not included in the program fee and will differ from country to country.
Your continued good health and your safety are paramount to GeoVisions. Access to medical treatment keeps you safe, healthy and participating on the program.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through iNext/Nationwide. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Included. Most of the time Italian host families meet the Au Pair at the airport or the train station. This will be worked out long before you arrive in Italy.
Included to and from your language courses, if you are taking them.
Included. You will stay with an Italian family and have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your Italian family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.