Paid Teacher In China

Paid Teacher In China

Teachers open the doors. Students enter by themselves. --Chinese Proverb

Start Now

When you teach English at a university in China with GeoVisions, you are provided opportunities to earn a great salary and benefits.  Being a paid university teacher in China can be an excellent alternative to the traditional post-graduate employment path. It is also an amazing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others, while experiencing the rich culture of Southeast Asia.

This is a full time teaching position with a full salary and benefits.  Depending on your experience and educational background, you can earn approx. US $800-$2,500 per month when you teach English in China. Accommodations are provided by the university normally.  If not, a stipend is provided to help cover living expenses.  The cost of living in China is very low. The salary may not seem particularly high in Western terms, but it is generous in local terms—about three times what local teachers earn—and the wages can easily finance independent travel during the year.

China is an amazing place to teach English and to explore a culture that is really just opening its doors to the world! Getting paid to teach English in China is a rewarding experience that requires patience and open mindedness.

Depending on the school you may be given free accommodation and a flight reimbursement. You will receive an orientation before you start teaching.

Play Videos

  • Are you between the ages of 21 and 65? China is an amazing place to teach English and to explore a culture that, believe it or not, is really just opening its doors to the world! Teaching English in China is a rewarding experience that requires patience and open mindedness. China has continuously proven to be a popular, adventurous and exciting destination for native English speakers interested in teaching full time.

  • Teaching English in China can be the start of a lucrative, professional career path as well as your chance to gain international experience! This experience will be useful in your home country upon your return from China by giving you an edge over applicants with no classroom experience.

    If you are graduating with a degree in Education and you’re having trouble finding a job … we have hundreds.  And we need you!  Teach full time, earn a salary with benefits and build up your resume.  When you’re finished in China, you can come home and find a job.  And with classroom teaching experience … you go to the top of the list of job candidates.

  • Yes! Think about traveling with a friend or two. While we may not be able to place you in the same town or school, with enough time we can get you close! Plus you have weekends to travel together.
  • Semester or academic year.
  • $999
  • Participants with a BA will receive approx. US $800-$2,500/month. A BA and teaching experience will earn you the higher salary.

    As a comparison, ¥2,000 RMB to ¥3,000 per month essentially assures you a nice lifestyle of good restaurants, fancy bars, and regular shopping.

    Depending on the school you may be given free accommodation and a flight allowance. You will receive full orientation and training before you start teaching.

    Surprisingly, when teach in China program fees and other expenses paid are compared with salaries earned and the lower cost of living, teachers abroad earn more than they spend.

    Did you know that being a teacher in China is one of the most affordable ways to experience international travel even if you have to pay program fees and flight expenses?

    To see how the math works, press the red button below. See for yourself that being a teacher in China can be one of the most affordable ways to experience international education, work and travel, while having the experience of a lifetime!

    How Much Do I Really Make?

Over the years we have met teachers who have had horrible experiences when they think they are going into a fantastic overseas teaching job only to find out they are not going to a real school, but a corporate school and not a true International school. They have been caught in a signed contract without having visited the school or met the administrators. Where do they turn without a support team who’s only job is to look out for you?<br><br>At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the school and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We make sure you’re being paid the highest salary possible. We help you with your visa, your formal documents and we make sure your new school is ready to receive you. In fact, if your placement doesn’t work out, we will move you to another school or another part of China.

Most schools do not impose age restrictions, but there may be a subtle age bias towards younger teachers. However, if you are active, vibrant, energetic and a creative educator wholoves being around young people, you will be able to secure a job. A few countries do impose age restrictions set by the government for issuing work visas, but most do not.

Go beyond the beaten path and experience China the way no tourist ever could. GeoVisions’ Teach in China program allows you to live and work in one of the world’s favorite holiday destinations while helping to improve the English skills of local children and experiencing and engaging in an important cultural exchange. You will find a rich culture built upon a fascinating history and a country populated by a caring, vibrant people.<br><br> The level of English in rural China is much lower than in many other parts of the world and successful applicants will not be expected to do any complicated teaching in the curriculum. Creating lesson plans to fit the level of English of the pupils in the class is part of the experience.<br><br>China is an amazing place to teach English and explore a culture that is really just opening its doors to the world. Teaching English in China is a rewarding experience but you need patience and open-mindedness. Teaching jobs in China are plentiful but finding a professional and well-organized institution can be challenging. That’s why many people put their trust in GeoVisions because we guarantee you a job before you ever leave your home country.

By being aware of some of the cultural differences you lessen the impact of culture shock and you make your life considerably easier. Here is a list of some of the more overt cultural differences of Western culture in relation to Chinese culture:

Food Etiquette
Food etiquette in China is different from other cultures. Watch what they do. You will be amazed. Slurping and reaching for food is totally acceptable as it removing food from one’s mouth and putting it on the table. Note that playing with chopsticks and making faces at the food (no matter how disgusted you might be) is not acceptable. Showing this emotion is considered a loss of face. Also note that going “dutch” is seen as unfriendly. If you offer to pay for everyone’s meal it will develop your relationship with him or her or them, even though they may not let you actually pay.

We might as well address the one thing you HAVE to get used to. People. And lots of them. If you choose to travel or go out you will be exposed to crowds. On public holidays the masses of people will become readily apparent as you shop with 1.5 billion Chinese. Don’t expect people to wait in line. There is very little sense of personal space.

Visiting a Person’s House
If you are invited to a Chinese person’s house, which will happen, always take a gift of fruit or flowers. A pre-made basket of fruit costs about $5.00. A bag of oranges or a bunch of flowers only costs a couple of Dollars.

Red flowers are good to take. White flowers are only used at funerals. Indian candy smoked salmon as a “gift from home” always goes over really well. Learn more about the food culture and symbolism in China in the Food in China section.

Smoking is seen as a masculine activity and very few think of it as a health threat or as offensive. Often people will smoke in restaurants with little or no regard for smoking or non-smoking sections. Chinese men constantly offer cigarettes and alcohol to other men. The type of cigarettes a person smokes establishes a class system. To decline an offer of a cigarette or alcohol say gently, “Wo bu hui. Xie xie.”

Today, attitudes towards tipping are changing in China. Although the practice is not officially recognized, tips are now frequently offered to and accepted by travel guides, tour bus drivers, porters and waiters in top-class hotels and restaurants. However, tipping is still not expected in most restaurants and hotels. Consumer taxes are included in price tags on goods but big hotels and fine restaurants may include a service charge of 10% or more.

Physical Contact/Holding Hands in Public
Chinese are not big on public displays of affection, you will rarely if ever see couples kissing in public. Shake hands but refrain from hugging, kissing, winking, patting or making physical contact.
 As a “friend,” you will find that men will hold hands with men and women will hold hands with women and walk on the street. This may be “weird” in the west, but it is a common friendly practice for young people/adults in China. You may even have a friend of the same sex try to hold your hand at some point.

Eye Contact
In Western countries one expects to maintain eye contact when we talk with people. This is a norm we consider basic and essential. This is not the case among the Chinese. On the contrary, because of the more authoritarian nature of the Chinese society, steady eye contact is viewed as inappropriate, especially when subordinates talk with their superiors.

Chinese students are not brought up to maintain constant eye contact with their teachers. Eye contact is sometimes viewed as a gesture of challenge or defiance. When people get angry, they tend to maintain steady eye contact. Otherwise, they keep talking looking elsewhere or nonchalant. Also, try to avoid physical content and eye contact with the opposite sex.

Bowing or nodding is the common greeting; however, you may be offered a handshake. Wait for the Chinese to offer their hand first.

Inviting People Home
You are definitely welcome to invite Chinese people to your home. Expect that if you invite them that you will be required to supply everything, just the same as if you invite them to dinner in a restaurant.

Be prepared to be asked your age, or why you are not married or don’t have any children. This is not considered prying but rather friendly and expressing interest in your life.

Chinese Hosts Offering Something
Usually when a Chinese host offers a guest refreshments, if the guest declines, the host will ask again twice. Remember this if you entertain at your place. If someone declines they may really want something so you should really ask a couple more times. It makes it look like you are really concerned with their comfort. 

You may apply at anytime during the calendar year.  We can fill 150 full time teaching positions each month.

GeoVisions accepts only native English speakers for this opportunity.


Teaching Prerequisites
  • You must be in good physical and mental health.
  • You must be between 21 and 65 years of age.
  • GeoVisions accepts only native English speakers for Paid Teacher in China and you must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree.
  • TESOL/TEFL is not required although is helpful and may help provide a higher salary.  You may obtain your TESOL independently, or you may obtain it through GeoVisions for an extra fee.
  • Applicants must commit for the academic year or semester (academic year is preferred).
  • Applicants must hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland or the United States of America.
Teaching Responsibilities
  • Teaching English in a classroom setting, working to improve students listening and speaking skills.
  • Prepare in-class activities focused on language development such as dialogues, games, pronunciation and grammar activities, songs, role-playing and conversation groups.
  • Plan lessons and presentations to your class.
  • Attend some faculty meetings.
  • Help plan and implement some extra-curricular activities (after-school English clubs, art projects, sporting activities etc.)
What You Get For Your Placement Fee
  • Orientation provided by the school upon arrival. Orientation typically is started on your second day at the school and will last one to two days.
  • An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our overseas partner.
  • Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
  • Extensive medical and accident insurance for the entire year.
  • Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
  • Visa guidance.
  • A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
  • Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
  • Daily living advice.
  • A semester or academic year contract.

  • The academic year begins in September and runs through December. The second semester runs February through July. Teachers are needed throughout the year.

  • You will have a 5-day-work-week with 2 consecutive days off.  Most teachers will have classes 10-15 hours/week.  (This is 12-20 periods/week.  Each period is 45 minutes.)

  • Orientation is provided by the schools.  It will usually occur on the second day after arrival.  Orientations are one to two days depending on the university.

  • Native English speakers with a valid passport from USA, UK, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and Canada.  You will teach in English.

  • If you have time, you can likely find Mandarin classes easily. Taking these courses would be at an optional expense that you want to factor into your budget.

    You may be able to find a colleague at your school who would trade English lessons for Mandarin lessons … as well as calligraphy and cooking lessons.

  • 21-60 years old.

  • Throughout China.  Provinces include:  Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, and Henan.

  • May be reimbursed. Once you receive your school placement you’ll know what the school will provide for airfare.

  • Not Included. Particiapnts should have a Z visa (working visa) before they arrive into China.  At this time (September 2016) the Z visa is $140.

  • Your continued good health and your safety are paramount to GeoVisions. Access to medical treatment keeps you safe, healthy and participating on the program.

    Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance is included for US citizens as long as you are on the program.

    Under the current insurance laws in the United States, we are unable to insure participants outside the US on our policy.  However, if you live outside the US, we hope you will still participate with us. You will need to scan your proof of insurance and send it to us.

    Yeah. We know. These laws make no sense to us either.

  • Airport transfer upon arrival is typically reimbursed by the school.  Once hired by a school, the details of the pick up or reimbursement are provided.

  • Not provided.

  • For the majority of placements, furnished Western-style apartments are included. You will probably be asked to pay the utilities. For a few schools, the salary may be higher and then would not include housing.

  • Not Included.

NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!