This summer, travel back to your adolescence.
From art to food, from stunning and varied countryside to flamboyant fashion, Italy has it all. Did you know: With 44 sites, Italy has more Unesco World Heritage sites than any other country on earth?
This summer, travel back to your adolescence. Most people can claim to be a camper at least once in their lives. So this summer, consider traveling back as a summer camp counselor in Italy.
It’s true that for a few hours a day you’re in charge of someone’s child. And by “someone” we mean an Italian parent’s kid. Double responsibility.
The truth is, there is no better way to spend your summer. Being a summer camp counselor in Italy will change your life.
You could always be an intern somewhere this summer and fetch coffee! But in this camp you’re going to find out more about yourself than taking latte orders several times a day.
As a summer camp counselor in Italy this year there is no one to impress and you don’t have to be nervous about making a huge mistake. You’re going to dance around in your shorts, flip-flops and your “You Can Camp” tee shirt. You’re going to get to know your fellow counselors because you’re eating at least 2 meals a day with them and sharing an apartment. It’s hard to sit around worrying what others think of you when you’re playing games, creating world-class art projects, going over words and phrases in English with Italian kids and having an amazing lunch of pasta followed by Espresso or Cappuccino and then heading out to the beach or catching up on an afternoon nap.
You are going to be working each day with 30+ day campers and 15 staff for a month. You will not falter in your confidence or ability. You’ll learn to trust your gut. You’re going to learn how to communicate in English and Italian. You will relish in being a role model for the campers and enjoy increased responsibility and awareness. You will wonder where you got all that enthusiasm.
Are you going to be stressed out? A couple of times. Are you going to feel challenged? Quite a few times. Are you going to realize each day is rewarding? Every-single-day. To watch one of your campers say a phrase in English without flaw that she has been working on for 2 weeks … there is no other feeling in the world like that.
One summer at this camp will have you second-guessing your major, your future, and what you’re meant to do in life.
- This is the perfect project to share with friends and traveling companions.
- The program is four weeks. Choose one of two sessions and choose your location if both are still available.
The program fee includes a refundable $75 housing deposit if you are volunteering at the camp in Porto Sant’Elpidio. If the apartment is left in the same condition as upon arrival, the $75 will be returned at the completion of camp.
This experience is a perfect blend of culture and language exchange. At the camp in Porto Sant’Elpidio, you will live right on the beach in a shared apartment. At the camp in Macerata, you will be 30 minutes from the beach in a beautiful Italian town either in a dorm or in a shared apartment. Macerata is a quick 30-minute train ride to the beach. At both camps you will volunteer 20 hours each week as a camp counselor to Italian children aged 6-14 teaching them conversational English. Being a summer camp counselor in Italy not only very rewarding … it’s a lot of fun.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Italy, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your Italian, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, and add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications using your experience from these Italian Day Camps.
- Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time on weekends to experience the Italian culture. Many other summer camp counselors have had time to travel all over Italy during the weekends. Some have even taken the overnight ferry to Croatia.
- You put in around 20 hours each week playing games with the campers and speaking English each day, and the rest of your time is spent traveling and experiencing the culture in depth.
- Enhance your resume by volunteering as a Conversation Partner and summer camp counselor. Job: “Private Language
- Tutor and Summer Camp Counselor.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
Requirements and Duties
- Summer camp counselors must be native English speakers.
- Counselors need to have a college degree or be in college, have one of the following requirements: teaching experience, camp counselor experience, or teaching English as a second language certificate.
- Counselors should be in good health.
- Counselors should have good lesson planning and organization skills.
- Skills in sports, music, singing, etc are extremely helpful.
- Share your language with the language camp 20 hours a week Monday to Friday.
- Be on time for camp each day.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money)
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer Placement through our Partner in Italy, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Italy, including two meals per day.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Italy.
- Airport pickup (in Rome) during specified times. If flights do not arrive during the arrival time (before 1 pm), precise information will be provided on how to reach the accommodations. (Cost of transportation, if outside of specified times, is not included.)
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical, and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance. Our insurance covers you up to $50,000 and carries a $0 deductible and is good for the entire duration of your program. We also include trip delay insurance, baggage loss and delay coverage, missed connection coverage and LiveTravel™ Emergency Service.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from Italy. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
You will need to apply soon to go in 2015. We had 10 people on the wait list this year who could not go. Apply early as this camp will be totally full by the end of November.
2015 Dates: Session One: June 12 to July 11. Session Two: July 11 to August 8.
4-5 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
Included. A formal orientation is given on site the weekend you arrive.
It is always helpful to have some knowledge of Italian.
21-35 years of age.
Porto Sant’Elpidio and Macerata in the Marche region of eastern Italy.
A Visa will not be needed on this program.
Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance included.
Included. Airport pickup in Rome and transport to Porto Sant’Elpidio and Macerata is included. Please arrive Rome by 1 pm. If you arrive later, the cost of transport is not included but directions to the camp will be provided.
In Porto Sant’Elpidio, you will live in an apartment on the beach. Each apartment can sleep 4 tutors. In Macerata, accommodation will be provided at college dorms or shared apartments.
Breakfast and lunch are provided Monday through Friday at camp. You can go out and buy your dinner or shop at the local market and cook at your apartment. Breakfast and lunch on weekends are provided.