This summer, travel back to your adolescence.
This summer, travel back to your adolescence. Most people can claim to be a camper at least once in their lives. So this summer, consider traveling back as a camp counselor in a summer camp in Italy teaching english.
The truth is, there is no better way to spend your summer. Being a summer camp counselor in Italy will change your life.
You could always be an intern somewhere this summer and fetch coffee! But in this camp you’re going to find out more about yourself than taking latte orders several times a day.
As a summer camp counselor in Italy this year there is no one to impress and you don’t have to be nervous about making a huge mistake. You’re going to dance around in your shorts, flip-flops and your “You Can Camp” tee shirt. You’re going to get to know your fellow counselors because you’re eating at least 2 meals a day with them and sharing an apartment. It’s hard to sit around worrying what others think of you when you’re playing games, creating world-class art projects, going over words and phrases in English with Italian kids and having an amazing lunch of pasta followed by Espresso or Cappuccino and then heading out to the beach or catching up on an afternoon nap.
You are going to be working each day with 30+ day campers and 15 staff for a month. You will not falter in your confidence or ability. You’ll learn to trust your gut. You’re going to learn how to communicate in English and Italian. You will relish in being a role model for the campers and enjoy increased responsibility and awareness. You will wonder where you got all that enthusiasm.
Are you going to be stressed out? A couple of times. Are you going to feel challenged? Quite a few times. Are you going to realize each day is rewarding? Every-single-day. To watch one of your campers say a phrase in English without flaw that she has been working on for 2 weeks … there is no other feeling in the world like that.
One summer at this camp will have you second-guessing your major, your future, and what you’re meant to do in life.
- This is the perfect project to share with friends and traveling companions.
- The program is four weeks.
This experience is a perfect blend of culture and language exchange.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Italy, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your Italian, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, and add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications using your experience from these Italian Day Camps.
- The program is designed to provide plenty of time on weekends to experience the Italian culture. Many other summer camp counselors have had time to travel all over Italy during the weekends. Some have even taken the overnight ferry to Croatia.
- You put in around 20 hours each week playing games with the campers and speaking English each day, and the rest of your time is spent traveling and experiencing the culture in depth.
- Enhance your resume with this International teaching experience.
- You will learn some Italian living and teaching English in Italy.
Requirements and Duties
- Summer camp counselors must be native English speakers.
- Counselors need to have a college degree or be in college, have one of the following requirements: teaching experience, camp counselor experience, or teaching English as a second language certificate.
- Counselors should be in good health.
- Counselors should have good lesson planning and organization skills.
- Skills in sports, music, singing, etc are extremely helpful.
- Share your language with the language camp 20 hours a week Monday to Friday.
- Be on time for camp each day.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money)
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer Placement through our Partner in Italy, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Italy, including lunch each day.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Italy.
- Airport pickup (in Rome) during specified times. If flights do not arrive during the arrival time (before 1 pm), precise information will be provided on how to reach the accommodations. (Cost of transportation, if outside of specified times, is not included.)
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Medical, and accident insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from Italy. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
You will need to apply soon to go in 2017. We had 10 people on the wait list this year who could not go. Apply early as this camp will be totally full by the end of November.
2017 Dates: Session One: June 9 to July 8. Session Two: July 8 to August 5.
4-5 hours per day, Monday through Friday.
Included. A formal orientation is given on site the weekend you arrive.
It is always helpful to have some knowledge of Italian.
21-35 years of age.
Porto Sant’Elpidio in the Marche region of eastern Italy.
A Visa will not be needed on this program.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Included. Airport pickup in Rome and transport to Porto Sant’Elpidio and Macerata is included. Please arrive Rome by 1 pm. If you arrive later, the cost of transport is not included but directions to the camp will be provided.
In Porto Sant’Elpidio, you will live in an apartment on the beach.
Lunch is provided Monday through Friday. You can go out and buy your dinner or shop at the local market and cook at your apartment.