Under the Iberian sun, a deep blue Mediterranean beckons!
From metropolitan Barcelona spreads an incredible amount of ocean and mountains … you could spend weeks going into various parts of it and still feel you’d barely begun. Along the Costa Brava lies ocean, beach and wild beauty. Inland, incredibly beautiful mountain towns dot the countryside. And all of this no more than 45-minutes from the heart of city-center Barcelona.
Have you always wanted to teach English in Spain and live like a local? This volunteer teaching assignment is in regular community schools near Barcelona. These are not private “language schools” but the elementary and secondary schools where the locals families send their children each day. You will teach students and faculty in English and coordinate your activities with the Headmaster at each school where you are placed. Your room and board is free and covered when you stay with a Spanish host family.
When you teach English in Barcelona, you will actually be in the classroom teaching Spanish students English. And you will be helping Spanish teachers who are teaching English. Before you depart for Spain you will have an opportunity to learn more about the expectations and to give you an opportunity to prepare in advance of your arrival in the Barcelona area.
Live with a host family and receive a private bedroom and 2-meals each day. You can have lunch at the school, or bring a packed lunch from your host family’s house when you’re at the school. On weekends, when you’re not traveling, you will have 3 meals per day with the family. You may actually live with local families whose children attend the schools. And there is also a chance that you could even live with multiple families and get to know more of the locals.
If you are a teacher, a retired teacher, or if you’re simply interested in the teaching profession, this program is perfect for you. Volunteer to spend 2-3 months at a local school outside of Barcelona and gain International classroom teaching experience.
Your professional certification will get a boost from direct classroom experience with Spanish students, teaching English at the school to students and spending time with the Spanish teachers who teach English. A detailed formal letter citing your hours of teaching for add’l CEUs or other professional requirements is a result of this opportunity.
- Yes! You would teach in the same school, although you will have different host families.
- 2 month minimum. If you can only volunteer your time for 1 month, please let us know and we can try to work around that.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the schools and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We provide a formal orientation at the school where you will be teaching.
Spend two months teaching English in a Spanish school. You will be assigned a Spanish teacher who teaches English in the school. The teacher and you will jointly teach the classes (conversation to writing). The exact schedule will be determined by the Head Master of the school, and you will be able to email the school well in advance so you know all you want to know about the school, the community, and your assigned teacher. Schools are located in the Barcelona area, specifically in the area.
- Do you want to learn Spanish or brush up on your language skills? Please note that you need at least some knowledge of Spanish to be a volunteer teacher in Spain.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Live, personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering as a teacher in Spain. Job: “Classroom Teacher.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your host family in advance through email and Skype calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Most host families come with a local coordinator to be there to help you anytime you need it.
- You “meet” your school family in advance through email. The school has been pre-screened and staff are eagerly awaiting your arrival.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sharing your language with local school teachers. The schedule will be arranged in advance or upon arrival by the Head Master of your new school.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials that you download and bring with you, and your free Internet subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions. If you get stumped and need specific help, our live and personalized Help Me Teach desk is always there for you to use.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits. Sleeping late often, spending your days in your room is not respectful. Nor is it respectful to be on the Internet, your iPad or cell phone most of the time..
- Help the English teachers at the school in their English classes at all different levels, mainly with the practice of speaking conversational English and writing.
- Help develop activities, games, lessons to the teachers.
- You must have a lot of your own initiative to make the activities interesting and fun.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized teacher placement at a Spanish school through our partner in Spain.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Spain, including three meals per day when you are with your host family.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Spain.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical and accident insurance for the entire duration of your program.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from Spain. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to Spain.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
For the 2015-2016 school year, we can place volunteer teachers in the schools from September 15 through June 25 as the last day of school. It is best not to expect to start a placement from November through mid-January. Otherwise, the schools are very flexible.
You will be at the school a minimum of 5 hours per day, 3-days per week. The rest of your time is free to discover the area or go to Barcelona, only 35-55 minutes away.
Included. You will have your formal orientation at the school.
You must be a native English speaker
We can point you in the direction of a language school if you like and for an extra fee you can take Spanish classes. Or, you might want to teach your family some English (or a teacher at the school where you will be) in exchange for Spanish lessons. (They might throw in a little Catalan too!)
Lliçà d’Amunt, Barcelona, Spain a municipality in Vallès Oriental, Catalonia, Spain. Population is 14,500 in the Province of Barcelona. You will be anywhere from 35-55 minutes from city-center Barcelona.
No Visa is necessary.
Your continued good health and your safety are paramount to GeoVisions. Access to medical treatment keeps you safe, healthy and participating on the program.
Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance is included for US citizens as long as you are on the program.
Under the current insurance laws in the United States, we are unable to insure participants outside the US on our policy, which we have obtained from Travel Guard. However, if you live outside the US we hope you will still participate with us. You will need to scan your proof of insurance and send it to us.
Yeah. We know. These laws make no sense to us either.
Included. Your host family will pick you up in Barcelona.
Included when you're going to and from the local school.
INCLUDED. You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
Three meals daily are included when you are with your host family. On days when you are at school (usually 3) you can have your lunch at school or you can pack a lunch. At school they serve 2 courses plus dessert. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.