Live and teach in the ‘City of Presidents and Poets’.
When you teach English in Costa Rica, you soon discover that all trails lead to waterfalls, misty crater lakes or jungle-fringed, deserted beaches. Explored by horseback, foot or kayak, Costa Rica is a tropical choose-your-own-adventure land.
And then there are the people. Costa Ricans, or Ticos as they prefer to call themselves, are proud of their little slice of paradise, welcoming guests to sink into the easygoing rhythms of the pura vida (pure life). Life in Costa Rica is simple. Yet there is a profound ability to let people relax and enjoy their time. With the highest quality of life in Central America, all the perfect waves, perfect sunsets and perfect beaches seem like the pura vida indeed.
Costa Rica is a peaceful green jewel of the region. Taking into account that more than a fourth of the land enjoys some form of environmental protection and there’s greater biodiversity here than in the USA and Europe combined, it’s a place that earns the superlatives.
The colonial town of San Ramón is no wallflower in the pageant of Costa Rican history. The ‘City of Presidents and Poets’ has sent five men to the country’s highest office, including ex-president Rodrigo Carazo, who built a tourist lodge a few kilometers to the north.
Another of Costa Rica’s beloved presidents, José Figueres Ferrer, is paid respect in an edifying culture and history culture center just north of the city’s central park.
Tourism is a big industry in Costa Rica. With over 2 ½ million tourists visiting Costa Rica in 2015, (more than 50% of Costa Rica’s population!), visitors from the US alone make up about 40% of those tourists. Knowing some English is definitely an advantage for some Costa Ricans who earn money from tourism.
On this program it is possible to stay up to 8 weeks tutoring English in San Ramon, Costa Rica. Tutors are needed to work with groups of locals who already have a basic level of English. This is conversational English. You will also tutor your host family. A group of expats began offering conversation language classes to locals in San Ramon. More and more locals signed on. Our participants add another component to these classes.
The students, ages 12-60+, meet during the week. With 5-6 students in each class, the classes run 1 ½ hours. The classes run for 4 and 8 weeks Monday through Friday and Saturday mornings.
Are you ready to work with locals in Costa Rica, including your host family, for 15 hours/week? Enjoy two days off each week (exact days are set up when you arrive). Do you want to improve your Spanish skills? Immerse in the local culture? If you answered “yes” this program is for you.
If you have as little as 4-weeks, we can place you on this program. If you have 8-weeks, you would tutor the entire time the course runs. And that’s fun to see the progress from start to finish.
Direct tutoring experience with Costa Ricans. Add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications or enhanced certification using your experience tutoring English in Costa Rica.
- Absolutely! Explore Costa Rica with a friend!
- 4 and 8 week teaching programs.
Housing is with a host family and included in the program fee. Hostel arrangements (single and double rooms) can be made for an additional fee.
This experience is a perfect blend of teaching English and culture / language exchange.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Costa Rica, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your Spanish, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, and add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications using your experience from this volunteer teaching experience.
- Improve your Spanish.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Live, personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering as a teacher in Costa Rica. Job: “Classroom Teacher.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time on weekends to experience the Tico culture. Many other volunteers have had time to travel all over Costa Rica during the weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Tutoring 5 hours/week to the English Conversation Groups.
- Tutoring 10 hours/week to your host family.
- Agreeing to a family code of conduct.
- Tutoring 4-6 days/week for a total of 15 hours/week.
- Participating for 4-8 weeks.
- Sharing your language with locals around 15 hours a week.
- Teach English to groups of students of different ages, in different settings.
- Tutor your host family in English if you choose the host family option for your accommodation.
- Assignments will be communicated a couple weeks prior to arrival. Every volunteer will work with an American expat, so you are not alone.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials, your free subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions.
- Keep your room tidy and clean.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer Placement through our Partner in Costa Rica, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Costa Rica.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Costa Rica.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
May 22 (6 week course), August 7th (8 week course), and October 16 (4-6 week course)
15 hours/week (10 with the host family and 5 with the conversation groups). 4-6 days/week (most likely Tuesday through Saturday with Sun/Mon off). Exact days/time to be set up with host family and conversation group leaders.
INCLUDED. Orientation will be provided in San Ramon which includes a city tour.
Basic Spanish is required. Spanish language classes can be set up once in Costa Rica. Participant will pay any fees for classes directly to the language school.
Optional Spanish courses are available at an additional expense.
21+. (Mature adults are very welcome to participate.)
San Ramon, Costa Rica.
Not included, but generally a visa is not required in advance. You will enter Costa Rica as a tourist, which is valid up to 90 days.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through iNext/Nationwide. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
You can stay with a local host family (included in the program fee). If you prefer to stay in a hostel, arrangements can be made with an additional cost (shared and single rooms are usually available).($300/month for a shared room at the hostel.)
Three meals each day are included when you are at the host family. When you are out on your own or traveling, you will need to provide your own meals. If you choose to stay at the hostel, meals are not provided.