Spruce up your certification! Volunteer 2-3 months in a classroom in France.
Have you always wanted to teach English in France and live like a local? This volunteer teaching assignment is in private schools in France. These are not private “language schools” but private elementary and secondary schools. You will teach students and faculty in English and coordinate your activities with the Headmaster at the school where you are placed. Your room and board is free and covered when you stay with a French host family.
When you teach English in France, you will actually be in the classroom teaching French students English. And you will be helping French teachers who are teaching English. Before you depart you will have an opportunity to email and Skype with the Headmaster at the school where you are placed to learn more about the expectations and to give you an opportunity to prepare in advance of your arrival in France.
Live with a host family and receive a private bedroom and 2-meals each day. On weekends, when you’re not traveling, you will have 3 meals per day with the family.
Culturally, France is all about world-class art and architecture, Roman temples and Renaissance châteaux, iconic landmarks known the world over. Or, you might be more into the French feast of fine food and wine that woos so many travelers. Then there’s the landscape from northern France’s cliff s and sand dunes to the bright-blue sea of the French Riviera and Corsica’s forests.
If you are a teacher, a retired teacher, or if you’re interested in the teaching profession, and you speak a high level of French, this program is perfect for you. Volunteer to spend 2-3 months at a private school in France and gain International classroom teaching experience.
Your professional certification will get a boost from direct classroom experience with French students, teaching the school’s faculty English and English teaching methods, and working directly with a Headmaster of a Private French school. A detailed formal letter citing your hours of teaching for add’l CEUs or other professional requirements is a result of this opportunity.
- 2-month minimum and 3-month maximum. You will enter France on your tourist visa.
- $1,999 for 2 months and $2,209 for 3 months.
Because this is a volunteer teach program, we have included in your program fee 3 meals per day when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own or if you are teaching during a typical lunch hour at the school, you will need to provide your own meals or eat lunch at school on your own. A private bedroom with your host family is also included in the fee.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the schools and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We provide a formal orientation at the school where you will be teaching. We can even set you up with a one-week intensive French course in Paris, the week before you begin teaching for an extra fee, if that is what you want.
Spend two or three months teaching English in a French school. You will be assigned a French teacher who teaches English in the school. The teacher and you will jointly teach the classes (conversation to writing). The exact schedule will be determined by the Head Master of the school, and you will be able to email the school well in advance so you know all you want to know about the school, the community, and your assigned teacher. Schools are located in the Northwest of France, specifically in the area of Saint-Malo, Saint Brieuc, Vannes and Rennes.
- Do you want to learn French or brush up on your language skills? An intensive one week class is available in Paris prior to beginning your program. Cost is additional to the program fee. Please note that you need a good knowledge of French to be a volunteer teacher in France.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Live, personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering as a teacher in France. Job: “Classroom Teacher.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your host family in advance through email and Skype calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Most host families come with a local coordinator to be there to help you anytime you need it.
- You “meet” your school family in advance through email. The school has been pre-screened and staff are eagerly awaiting your arrival.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sharing your language with local school teachers. The schedule will be arranged in advance or upon arrival by the Head Master of your new school.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials that you download and bring with you, and your free Internet subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions. If you get stumped and need specific help, our live and personalized Help Me Teach desk is always there for you to use.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits. Sleeping late often, spending your days in your room is not respectful. Nor is it respectful to be on the Internet, your iPad or cell phone most of the time..
- Help the English teachers at the school in their English classes at all different levels, mainly with the practice of speaking conversational English and writing.
- Help develop activities, games, lessons to the teachers.
- You must have a lot of your own initiative to make the activities interesting and fun.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized teacher placement at a French school through our partner in France.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in France, including two meals per day.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in France.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical and accident insurance for the entire duration of your program.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from France. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to France.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
October through May each academic year to teach in a private school in France.
Exact hours are determined by the school’s Headmaster where you will teach. Schools are normally open between 8:30 am-5:30 PM with Wednesday afternoons, Saturdays and Sundays free. You must be available to the school 15 hours a week if you are also teaching English to a French family. You will need to be available to the school 20-hours each week if you are not teaching your host family English as well.
INCLUDED. Each school will hold their own formal orientation. The school will provide an explanation of the program and expectations. There is also a local representative that is available for assistance with living in France and with the host family.
A high level of French is required to teach in a private school. Native English speaker required.
Not included. One week intensive course can optionally be done prior to the program in Paris at an additional cost.
Be advised that the minimum age is 23 since the schools want someone with at least some teaching experience. The program is open to older teachers and retired teachers as well.
The schools that have approved this program are in the northwest of France (in and around the areas of Saint-Malo, Saint Brieuc, Vannes and Rennes.)
Not included. Paris will be your gateway city.
You will not need a visa for this program. You will arrive on a Tourist Visa.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
The host families will try to pick you up. Typically you will fly to Paris and take a train to the St. Malo area, about a 3-hour ride from Paris.
INCLUDED. You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
Included are 2 meals per day. When you are traveling on your own or if you are teaching during a typical lunch hour at the school, you will need to provide your own meals or eat lunch at school on your own.