Teach English in Italy. Then teach English better when you return!
From art to food, from stunning and varied countryside to flamboyant fashion, Italy has it all. Did you know: With 44 sites, Italy has more Unesco World Heritage sites than any other country on earth? Come see for yourself and volunteer to teach English for 1, 2 or 3 months in Italy!
This program is different than most “teach English in Italy” programs you might see on the Internet. With other programs you have two-fixed arrival dates. On the GeoVisions Teach English in Italy program there are seven arrival dates throughout the year.
Rather than an age range of 20-35, our program’s age range is from 22-60 (or sometimes higher.) We frequently have participants in their 60’s enjoying their time in Italy teaching in the classroom and living with a screened host family in the stunning Marche region of Italy.
When you teach English in Italy, you will actually be in the classroom teaching Italian students English. Live with a host family and receive a private bedroom and 2-meals each day. On weekends, when you’re not traveling, you will have 3 meals per day with the family. You don’t even need classroom experience. Watch the video below and you’ll see just how easy and fun it is to teach English in Italy.
Are you ready to teach in a local Italian school plus 5 hours/week with your host family in exchange for accommodation and 2 meals each day? Enjoy a second home with new friends? How about working with local teachers on their conversational English? And learn or improve your Italian? How about those organizational skills?
Direct classroom experience with Italian students, teaching faculty English and English teaching methods, working directly with a Headmaster. Add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications or enhanced certification using your experience teaching English abroad in Italy.
- This program is available during the school year for 1, 2 or 3 months.
- $1,499 flat fee for 1, 2 or 3 months.
If you prefer a private apartment in Italy and not a host family, add approximately $800 US to the program fee. Because this is a volunteer teach program, we have included a private bedroom with a host family and 2-meals daily with your host family.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the schools and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We provide a formal orientation at the school where you will be teaching. We can even set you up with a one-week intensive French course in Paris, the week before you begin teaching for an extra fee, if that is what you want.
Spend one, two or three months teaching English in an Italian school. You will be assigned an Italian teacher who teaches English in the school. The teacher and you will jointly teach the classes (conversation to writing). The exact schedule will be determined by the Head Master of the school, and you will be able to email the school well in advance so you know all you want to know about the school, the community, and your assigned teacher. Schools are located in the Marche region of Italy, along the Adriatic Coast.
The school closes on National Holidays and on Saturdays and Sundays, therefore the guest teachers have to leave the school on Saturday afternoon and come back onSunday night. The school has agreement with a bed and breakfast close to them that is very affordable, and there is also a hostel in Macerata that is also affordable.
This is a great option when a teacher wants to travel on weekends and see the country.
The second option is that there is a private Kindergarten school that is available not only during the school year, but also in the summer months. This opportunity is more selective because the school only accepts teachers with previous experience with pre-schoolers and they have an interview on skype before confirming the candidate. No board is involved, therefore quick placements.
- Do you want to learn Italian or brush up on your language skills?
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Live, personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering as a teacher in Italy. Job: “Classroom Teacher.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your host family in advance through email and Skype calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Most host families come with a local coordinator to be there to help you anytime you need it.
- You “meet” your school family in advance through email. The school has been pre-screened and staff are eagerly awaiting your arrival.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sharing your language with local school for at least 15-20 hours a week and tutoring your host family approximately 5 hours/week. The schedules can be arranged in advance or upon arrival.
- Teach during school hours or after-school. Classes may be 15-30 students/class.
- Teach conversational English to groups of students.
- Help students with their English homework.
- Tutor English during other initiatives organized by the town hall/community/school.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials, your free subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money)
- Be available to help the children with their English homework.
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer Placement through our Partner in Italy, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Italy, including two meals per day.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Italy.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical and accident insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.
2016: Intakes are January 16, February 6, March 5 (maximum 8-week placement), April 2nd (maximum 4-week placement.) All positions open.
Monday through Friday at the school. Normally during school hours, but volunteer teachers may be asked to tutor after school or for other initiatives. The 5 hours/week schedule tutoring the host family can be set up with the family upon arrival.
INCLUDED. Each school (and the teachers to whom you are assigned) will orient the volunteer teachers.
English speakers only. Some knowledge of Italian is very helpful.
If available near your placement, assistance is provided in identifying suitable language lessons. The cost of language classes is not included in your program fee. Or, you might have the time to trade English lessons for Italian language (or cooking) lessons!
The minimum age is 22 and maximum age is 60. If you are over 60 and would like to do this program, contact us. We have been successful in the past with retired teachers.
The placements will mostly be in the Marche region of Italy, on the Adriatic Coast.
Not included, but generally no visa is required. You will enter Italy on a tourist visa, which is good for up to 90-days.
INCLUDED. Extensive medical and accident insurance is included during your entire stay.
Not included. Sometimes if you work it out in advance, your host family may be able to greet you at the airport or at a nearby train station.
You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
Two meals daily are included when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.