Teach English in Italy. Then teach English better when you return!
From art to food, from stunning and varied countryside to flamboyant fashion, Italy has it all. Did you know: With 44 sites, Italy has more Unesco World Heritage sites than any other country on earth? Come see for yourself and volunteer to teach English for 1, 2 or 3 months in Italy!
This program is different than most “teach English in Italy” programs you might see on the Internet. With other programs you have two-fixed arrival dates. On the GeoVisions Teach English in Italy program there are seven arrival dates throughout the year.
Rather than an age range of 20-35, our program’s age range is from 22-60 (or sometimes higher.) We frequently have participants in their 60’s enjoying their time in Italy teaching in the classroom and living with a screened host family in the stunning Marche region of Italy.
When you teach English in Italy, you will actually be in the classroom teaching Italian students English. Live with a host family and receive a private bedroom and 2-meals each day. On weekends, when you’re not traveling, you will have 3 meals per day with the family. You don’t even need classroom experience. Watch the video below and you’ll see just how easy and fun it is to teach English in Italy.
At GeoVisions, we have pre-screened the schools and the position and in most cases, we have placed teachers at that school before. We provide a formal orientation at the school where you will be teaching. We can even set you up with a one-week intensive French course in Paris, the week before you begin teaching for an extra fee, if that is what you want.
Spend one, two or three months teaching English in an Italian school. You will be assigned an Italian teacher who teaches English in the school. The teacher and you will jointly teach the classes (conversation to writing). The exact schedule will be determined by the Head Master of the school, and you will be able to email the school well in advance so you know all you want to know about the school, the community, and your assigned teacher. Schools are located in the Marche region of Italy, along the Adriatic Coast.
This is a long process, and to work well, we need to receive the full documentation at least 8 weeks before departure date. This way you can receive the 100% confirmation of the placement roughly 3 to 4 weeks before departure, or before if possible. If we receive your documents within the 8 weeks, you may not be placed or you would be placed with a very short notice. This may cause your airfare to rise.
The school closes on National Holidays and on Saturdays and Sundays, therefore the guest teachers have to leave the school on Saturday afternoon and come back onSunday night. The school has agreement with a bed and breakfast close to them that is very affordable, and there is also a hostel in Macerata that is also affordable.
This is a great option when a teacher wants to travel on weekends and see the country.
The second option is that there is a private Kindergarten school that is available not only during the school year, but also in the summer months. This opportunity is more selective because the school only accepts teachers with previous experience with pre-schoolers and they have an interview on skype before confirming the candidate. No board is involved, therefore quick placements.
- Do you want to learn Italian or brush up on your language skills?
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Live, personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. We are here to provide that assistance FREE.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume by volunteering as a teacher in Italy. Job: “Classroom Teacher.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your host family in advance through email and Skype calls. Each family is interviewed and carefully screened by in-country staff.
- Most host families come with a local coordinator to be there to help you anytime you need it.
- You “meet” your school family in advance through email. The school has been pre-screened and staff are eagerly awaiting your arrival.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sharing your language with local school for at least 15-20 hours a week and tutoring your host family approximately 5 hours/week. The schedules can be arranged in advance or upon arrival.
- Teach during school hours or after-school. Classes may be 15-30 students/class.
- Teach conversational English to groups of students.
- Help students with their English homework.
- Tutor English during other initiatives organized by the town hall/community/school.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials, your free subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money)
- Be available to help the children with their English homework.
What You Get For Your Program Fee
- Personalized Volunteer Placement through our Partner in Italy, including all the coordination, in-person visits and communication necessary with the local organization.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Italy, including two meals per day.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Italy.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay.
- Extensive medical and accident insurance.
- Important documents, including in-depth pre-departure packs, orientation information, and all in-country informational materials.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge.