Live with a host family in Russia and help them learn English.
For centuries the world has wondered what to believe about Russia. Diverse landscapes, ancient fortresses, luxurious palaces, swirly spired churches and lost-in-time wooden villages and you’ll begin to see why Russia is simply amazing.
This is a great program for people who want to experience life in Russia and the Russian culture in-depth. You will teach English in Russia, but the program also has a focus on cultural exchange. Host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine. Live with a screened Russian family and agree to teach them conversational English. Your room and meals are included with your program fee, plus you can learn or improve your Russian through total immersion. Volunteer 15 hours each week to a welcoming host family! Weekends are normally free to experience the culture by traveling around Russia.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Russia. You are about to teach English in Russia! Enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your Russian, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications as you tutor English to a family in Russia.
If you are researching various programs, be sure you ask:
No other organization provides this level of support. Go ahead and ask them.
Your insurance package. The insurance was specifically designed for home tutors. We want you to be fully covered for sickness as well as accident, and to the extent that you are not a financial burden on your host family.
LiveTravel™ service for you 24/7. This covers lost documents like Passports and airline tickets, where to find a local doctor or other services you may need. This service is used a lot, and much more often than the insurance.
Liability insurance coverage. If something unpredictable happens, you need to know we’re behind you.
Costs to interview families overseas, support for those families, salaries and overheads in our offices abroad.
Support costs abroad, as well as 24/7 manned phones in the U.S. and the training of those operators.
Materials such as our teaching ideas manual, which you will download. That also includes other materials, the cost of maintaining our Community Pages and the subscription to the ESL Lounge.
Support from our Help Me Teach desk, providing you individualized support and ideas when you need them.
Fees to translate documents to English, when necessary.
Credit Card processing fees, international wire fees to send your money abroad, and legal fees.
The costs to prepare your extensive packet of materials to send to your host family and salaries for people to do that.
Marketing costs we pay to GoAbroad, GoOverseas, TransitionsAbroad and elsewhere to find more tutors like you, and to marketing costs overseas to let families know about this program.
Maintenance of this website.
Costs to set up and maintain a program like this in 18 different countries.
Staff training, salaries and overheads.
Support to you from enrollment to departure.
- Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time to experience the Russian culture. Many other tutors have had time to travel to many places in Russia.
- Do you want to learn Russian or brush up on your language skills? If available near your placement, GeoVisions will provide assistance in identifying suitable language lessons. Language classes are optional and at an additional expense.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. Some tutors just don’t know where to start and need help identifying what to teach according to the ages of the family members. We are here to provide that assistance FREE. Email Betsy as often as you like. Or even Skype with her.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume. Job: “Private Language Tutor.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your family in advance through email, phone calls or Skype. Each family is interviewed and screened by full time staff in Russia.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Share your language with your host family up to 15 hours each week. You should work out your schedule with your host family in advance or immediately upon arrival. Your primary reason for being there is to provide conversation in your language. The family knows that and they are expecting you to set the teaching schedule in advance and bring materials with you that will help the family learn. This is your responsibility. Although you are a guest, they are expecting to take the lead from you.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials that you download and bring with you, and your free Internet subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions. If you get stumped and need specific help, our personalized Help Me Teach desk is always there for you to use. Here are plenty of examples from the Help Me Teach desk in our GeoVisions Blog.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits. Sleeping late everyday, spending your days in your room and not being accessible to the family is not respectful. Nor is it respectful to be on the Internet, your iPad or cell phone most of the time.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Receive For Your Program Fee
- Personalized volunteer placement through our partner in Russia with a pre-screened family. In other words, a place to call “home” in Europe.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Russia, including three meals per day when you are with your host family.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Russia.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay. In some instances due to location, it may be necessary to receive orientation by telephone or may require you to travel a short distance to the office to receive orientation there if you want it.
- Extensive medical, and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance. Our insurance covers you up to $50,000 and carries a $0 deductible and is good for the entire duration of your program. We also include trip delay insurance, baggage loss and delay coverage, missed connection coverage and LiveTravel™ Emergency Service.
- Pre-departure materials, orientation information, full access to GeoVisions’ Community Pages for in-depth information and access to former and current tutors.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from Russia. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to Russia if you want.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge for access to game, flash-cards, worksheets.
- Unlimited access to GeoVisions’ exclusive Help Me Teach desk, to assist you with ideas that relate to your situation.
- Meet your family before you leave home via email and Skype. You will receive full information about your host family before you even accept the position.