Live with a host family in Spain and help them learn English.
Teach English in Spain and live like a local for 1 to 3 months when you tutor English to a family in Spain. Don’t worry if you’ve never done this before! Your new host family is more interested in learning conversational English than they are grammar. You will have so much fun living in Spain by simply speaking English the way you normally do at home. You might even want to rename this program Speak English in Spain! In addition, you also have a unique opportunity to learn or improve your Spanish! In a matter of hours you are walking around your new community like a true Spaniard. It won’t take long for the locals to start recognizing you and for you to consider your host community your new home. It’s real and authentic. Get to know the locals. Wake up each day and feel a connection. Most of all, make a difference in your host community and host family.
- At a minimum, be 18 years of age. We also place a lot of mature travelers looking for a different way to travel and connect with new people and explore different cultures.
- Be a native English speaker.
- Hold a passport from the USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand or Australia.
- Tutor conversational English up to 15 hours each week.
What you receive
- You will have your own private room.
- We include 3 meals each day.
- Weekends are normally free to experience the culture by traveling around Spain.
- Live like a local in one of the world’s most captivating places.
- 1, 2 or 3 months.
The program fee for this experience covers our costs of placing you on the program in a safe host family and neighborhood. The fee helps us in providing your accommodation, meals, insurance, pre-departure & in-country support. We provide 24/7 emergency service, manned by real people. We update our tutor materials and tutoring aids constantly and provide a real ESL Teacher who is here via email to give you personalized assistance if you feel you need ideas. You are supported from the moment you contact us to the time you return … and beyond, through our active Alumni Community.
What are the benefits of this experience?
- A second home with new friends.
- You are more independent and confident.
- Your Spanish improves because of the immersion. You are now a local.
- New interests discovered and experienced.
- Your organizational and creative skills are put to the test.
- Get to know yourself better.
- You are helping your host family realize their goals of speaking English. You will make a lasting and sustainable impression.
- Add an international reference to your resume which helps with future job applications because of your experience tutoring English to a family in Spain.
- Personalized placement with a screened host family. In other words, a place to call home in Spain. Our unique matching system ensures a great fit.
- A comfortable private bedroom for the duration of the program.
- Home-cooked meals each day except when you’re traveling.
- Local office support in Spain.
- Pre-departure materials.
- Comprehensive medical insurance if you’re from the US.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to Spain if you want.
- Our ESL-Lounge for access to games, flash-cards, and worksheets.
- Private Language Tutor experience to enhance your resume.
- Full immersion Spanish language through your host family.
What’s Not Included:
- Your flight to Spain.
- Any Visa fee as you enter Spain.
- Meals when you travel or go out on your own.
- Spending money for personal expenses, when you travel or optional activities.
How does GeoVisions choose families?
Host families contact us because they want to provide room and board to a native English speaker who will help them with their conversational English. When there are children in the family, mostly they need help with their English homework, but many times the adults want to join in as well.
Families, like you, are screened. They have to show a need and a desire to host an English tutor. And they have to pass a background check, an interview by staff in Spain and agree to a home inspection and provide photos of the home (inside and out). Tutors are promised their own private room but there are times a bathroom might be shared. Families provide meals except when the tutor is traveling.
Can I choose my location?
For the most authentic experience living each day in Spain, you cannot choose your exact location. What you can do is tell us the area where you’d like to be and whether or not you’d like a large city, a small town or rural placement. And we’ll try our best. Remember … the host families choose us when they need a live-in tutor and so timing is everything. There are many locations that you may not have considered prior to applying that are fantastic places in Spain. (We can tell you about many tutors that have loved their locations!)
Does GeoVisions provide materials to help me be successful? How am I supported?
Not only do we provide our own book, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English to Families and Children (you download this document and take the parts you want with you), you receive hundreds of FREE materials through our ESL Lounge, and we employ a full time ESL Teacher, right here on staff. Betsy is here for you before you depart and while you’re abroad. Email Help Me Teach and you are connected with Betsy who will answer your questions and provide detailed and personalized ideas to help you be successful.
What if I don’t like my placement when I arrive or I have host family issues? Can I move?
Before you depart, we connect you via email, phone and Skype with your new host family. You’ll have all the details you want before you ever leave home. GeoVisions spends a great deal of time on match-making. It is the only way the program will be successful. There needs to be a “connection” between you and your host family. You will Skype, call or email your family before you pay the balance of your program fees. It’s the only way everyone will be happy.
But after you arrive if you’re having issues, we have a way to start the process to fix things or, change your placement, if necessary. This is extremely rare, but we’ve done this long enough to know things can come up on all sides.
Can I be placed with someone? I’d like to travel with a friend.
Unfortunately, host families needing a tutor generally have the room for one extra person in the home. So we are unable to provide a homestay for anyone except the tutor. If you want to apply with someone else, they would be placed with another family. We would try hard to find a host family so you would be close to one another, but we could not guarantee that. If you’re set on traveling with someone, take a look at our other program types, because we do have those kinds of placements. Give us a call and ask.
Find out more by reading some posts written by our own participants in Spain on our SeekExperiences Blog.
Flexible. The actual arrival date is coordinated between you and your host family. Positions available year round. We do not have set departure dates for this program.
15 hours per week, determined by the family. But you need to propose a schedule as the family looks to you for that.
A formal orientation is not given. If there is a local coordinator in your area, you will be able to request an orientation by that person. Otherwise, you can also call our office in each country for orientation and for assistance locally.
You must be a native English speaker.
If available near your placement, assistance is provided in identifying suitable language lessons. The cost of language classes is not included in your program fee.
18+. And yes, we can place “mature” travelers.
Cities and towns all around Spain.
You will not need a visa for this program. Enter Spain on a tourist visa.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Depending on the day of arrival, your host family may arrange pick up. You can also work this out in advance with your host family.
You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.
NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!