Live with a host family in China and help them learn English. Earn a cash stipend!
A perfect blend of culture and language exchange. When you teach English in China you will live with a screened Chinese family and tutor them conversational English. Don’t worry if you’ve never done this before. The family is more interested in conversation than they are grammar.
If you are 18 years of age or older, we’re interested in having you join us. We also place a lot of mature travelers, looking for a different way to travel and connect with new people and explore different cultures. All we need to begin is for you to be a native English speaker and hold a passport from the EU, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, or South Africa.
Your private room and meals are included with your program fee, plus you can learn or improve your Chinese through total immersion. Volunteer 15 hours each week speaking conversational English to a welcoming host family! Weekends are normally free to experience the culture by traveling around China.
Live in one of the world’s most eye-opening places. Antique, new, urban, rural … a land of mesmerizing contradictions. China is vast. Off-the-scale massive. A riveting jumble of wildly differing dialects and climatic and topographical extremes, it’s like several different countries rolled into one. The Chinese live to eat and with 1.4 billion food-loving people to feed, coupled with vast geographic and cultural variations in a huge land, expect your tastebuds to be tantalised, tested and treated.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in China, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your Chinese, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications as you tutor English to a family in China.
Do you want to learn Chinese or improve your Chinese? Do you want to experience the Chinese culture and food in a very unique way? If you are ready for a total immersion program, and if you are willing to teach conversational English to your host family, this program is perfect for you.
This is a great program for people who want to experience life in China and the Chinese culture in-depth. The program has a focus on cultural exchange and host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.
Unlike other home tutor programs, this one in China comes with a monthly stipend.
Add “Personal Language Tutor in China” to your resume. Gain experience tutoring conversational English in an international setting.
- 1, 2 or 3 months.
- $1,489 flat fee no longer how long you stay.
Once all of your paperwork is submitted, typically you will be matched with a host family very quickly.
This program includes a monthly stipend. Receive $140 US for the first month, $195 US for the second month, to total $335 US. Stay for the 3rd month and receive $280 US for the third month to total a stipend of $615 US for the three months in China.
So if you stay one month, your program fee cost is really $1,349. If you stay two months, your program fee cost is really $1,154 and if you stay the full three months, your program fee cost is actually $874.
How does GeoVisions choose families?
Host families contact us because they want to provide room and board to a native English speaker who will help them with their conversational English. When there are children in the family, mostly they need help with their English homework, but many times the adults want to join in as well. And sometimes the family is preparing for a family trip to an English speaking country and they want to prepare before they go.
Families, like you, are screened. They have to show a need and a desire to host an English tutor. And they have to pass a background check, an interview by staff in China and agree to a home inspection and provide photos of the home (inside and out). Tutors are promised their own private room but there are times a bathroom might be shared. Families provide meals except when the tutor is traveling.
Does GeoVisions provide materials to help me be successful? How am I supported?
Not only do we provide our own book, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English to Families and Children (you download this document and take the parts you want with you), you receive hundreds of FREE materials through the ESL Lounge, and we employ a full time ESL Teacher, right here on staff. Betsy is here for you before you depart and while you’re abroad. Email Help Me Teach and you are connected with Betsy who will answer your questions and provide detailed and personalized ideas to help you be successful. You cannot write to her enough.
Can I choose my location?
You cannot choose your location in China. What you can do is tell us the area where you’d like to be and whether or not you’d like a large city, a small town or rural placement. And we’ll try our best. Remember … the host families choose us when they need a live-in tutor and so timing is everything. It is probable that we won’t have a host family ready in your favorite location at the time you want to go. But you should talk to us first. And also realize that there are many locations that you may not have considered prior to applying that are fantastic places in China. (We can tell you about many tutors that have loved their locations!)
What if I don’t like my placement when I arrive or I have host family issues? Can I move?
Before you depart, we connect you via email, phone and Skype with your new host family. You’ll have all the details you want before you ever leave home. GeoVisions spends a great deal of time on match-making. It is the only way the program will be successful. There needs to be a “connection” between you and your host family. You will Skype, call or email your family before you pay the balance of your program fees. It’s the only way everyone will be happy.
But after you arrive if you’re having issues, we have a way to start the process to fix things or, change your placement, if necessary. This is extremely rare, but we’ve done this long enough to know things can come up on all sides.
Where does my money go?
The money you pay for this program partially covers:
- Your insurance package. The insurance was specifically designed for home tutors. We want you to be fully covered for sickness as well as accident so you are not a financial burden on your host family.
- Liability insurance coverage. If something unpredictable happens, you need to know we’re behind you.
- Costs to interview families overseas, support for those families, salaries and overheads in our offices abroad.
- Support costs abroad, as well as 24/7 manned phones in the U.S. and the training of those operators.
- Materials such as our teaching ideas manual, which you will download. That also includes the cost of maintaining your FREE subscription to the ESL Lounge and the wealth of information contained there.
- Support from our Help Me Teach desk, providing you individualized support and ideas when you need them.
- Fees to translate documents when necessary.
- Credit Card processing fees, international wire fees to send your money abroad, and legal fees.
- The costs to prepare your extensive packet of materials to send to your host family and salaries for people to do that.
- Marketing costs we pay to GoAbroad, GoOverseas, TransitionsAbroad, Google and elsewhere to find more tutors like you, and to marketing costs overseas to let families know about this program.
- Maintenance of this website.
- Costs to set up and maintain programs in 23 different countries.
- Staff training, salaries and overheads.
- Support to you from enrollment to departure.
Can I be placed with someone? I’d like to travel with a friend.
Unfortunately, host families needing a tutor generally have the room for one extra person in the home. So we are unable to provide a homestay for anyone except the tutor. If you want to apply with someone else, they would be placed with another family. We would try hard to find a host family so you would be close to one another, but we could not guarantee that. If you’re set on traveling with someone, take a look at our other program types, because we do have those kinds of placements. Give us a call and ask.
- Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time to experience the Chinese culture. Many other tutors have had time to travel all over China.
- Do you want to learn Chinese or brush up on your language skills? If available near your placement, GeoVisions will provide assistance in identifying suitable language lessons. Language classes are optional and at an additional expense.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. Some tutors just don’t know where to start and need help identifying what to teach according to the ages of the family members. We are here to provide that assistance FREE. Email Betsy as often as you like. Or even Skype with her.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume. Job: “Private Language Tutor.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your family in advance through email, phone calls or Skype. Each family is interviewed and screened by full time staff in China.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Share your language with your host family up to 15 hours each week. You should work out your schedule with your host family in advance or immediately upon arrival. Your primary reason for being there is to provide conversation in your language. The family knows that and they are expecting you to set the teaching schedule in advance and bring materials with you that will help the family learn. This is your responsibility. Although you are a guest, they are expecting to take the lead from you.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials that you download and bring with you, and your free Internet subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions. If you get stumped and need specific help, our personalized Help Me Teach desk is always there for you to use.
- Here are plenty of examples written by our English tutors, from our SeekExperiences Blog.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits. Sleeping late everyday, spending your days in your room and not being accessible to the family is not respectful. Nor is it respectful to be on the Internet, your iPad or cell phone most of the time.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Receive For Your Program Fee
- Personalized volunteer placement through our partner in China with a pre-screened family. In other words, a place to call “home” in China.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in China, including your meals when you are with your host family.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in China.
- Post arrival orientation is included. Orientation includes a Welcome Package with travel bag, prepaid SIM card, prepaid transportation card, map, etc.)
- A transportation card is included.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay. In some instances due to location, it may be necessary to receive orientation by telephone or may require you to travel a short distance to the office to receive orientation there if you want it.
- Pre-departure materials, orientation information and access to former and current tutors.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from China. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to China if you want.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge for access to game, flash-cards, worksheets.
- Unlimited access to GeoVisions’ exclusive Help Me Teach desk, to assist you with ideas that relate to your situation.
- Meet your family before you leave home via email and Skype. You will receive full information about your host family before you even accept the position.
Flexible. The actual arrival date is coordinated between you and your host family. Positions are available year round. We do not have set departure dates for this program.
10 hours per week, determined by the family. Then approximately 5 hours per week tutoring English elsewhere in your community.
Post arrival orientation is included. Orientation includes a Welcome Package with travel bag, prepaid SIM card, prepaid transportation card, map, etc.)
You must be a native English speaker.
Included. Beginner language lessons are available once a week for the first four weeks at your request.
18+. And yes, we can place “mature” travelers.
In the Beijing area.
Not included. “L” visa is $130 and required for the program. Assistance with welcome letter included.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Included in the fee.
Local transport is typically not included, but transport to the family from your orientation is included. A transportation card is provided with your Orientation.
You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.