From the city to the beach to ancient ruins in four weeks.
As a summer camp counselor in Thailand, by teaching English during day camps, you will give many children an opportunity to learn an important skill that they can use to better their lives.
Becoming a summer camp counselor in Thailand is not only highly rewarding, it’s a lot of fun. In Thailand, GeoVisions’ language camps provide English language education to disadvantaged youth. This gives them an opportunity to learn an important skill that they can use to better their lives. These language camps mostly take place in and around schools. Students are offered a chance to practice their English in a more creative setting of activities and learning that make the day a lot more fun.
During the camp days you will participate in many creative activities using art and music with the children. You will also have time for plenty of exercise playing soccer during activity time. It’s the Thai kids’ favorite sport.
With a long coastline (actually, two coastlines) and jungle-topped islands anchored in blue waters, Thailand is a tropical getaway for the hedonist and the hermit, the prince and the pauper. When you step off the airplane after your flight to Bangkok, you will find it almost natural to slip into your Thai “skin,” even if this is your first trip to Thailand. In no time you will be chit-chatting with the locals, eating at street noodle joints, climbing aboard shared taxi pick-up trucks, and craving rice for breakfast.
Requirements and Duties to be a summer camp counselor in Thailand
- Summer camp counselors must be native English speakers.
- Counselors need to have a college degree or be in college, have one of the following requirements: teaching experience, camp counselor experience, or teaching English as a second language certificate.
- Be in good health.
- Have good lesson planning and organization skills.
- Skills in sports, music, singing, etc are extremely helpful.
- Share your language with the language camp 20 hours a week Monday to Friday. It’s easy doing this in a summer camp in Thailand teaching English.
- Be on time for camp each day.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money)
What You Receive
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Thailand.
- Airport pickup (in Bangkok) during specified times. If flights do not arrive during the arrival time as set forth in your pre-departure materials, precise information will be provided on how to reach the accommodations. (Cost of transportation, if outside of specified times, is not included.)
- Medical, and accident insurance for US citizens.
- Consider traveling with a friend or as a couple. All of our summer camp programs are perfect for friends or small groups.
- Four weeks
- $1,579. As a "thank you" from the camps, expect around $15 per day for each camp day. Expect 10+ camp days.
The fee you pay to be a volunteer camp counselor in Thailand goes to our 501(c)(3) non-profit company, The GeoVisions Foundation. The program donation for this experience covers our costs of placing you on the program. Your fee also goes to provide you transport to your orientation and to each summer camp during the four weeks. We also provide lunch for you each Monday through Friday. The fee helps us provide your accommodation, insurance, pre-departure & in-country support. We provide 24/7 emergency service, manned by real people. You are supported from the moment you contract us to the time you return … and beyond, through our active Alumni Community. Be sure to speak to your tax preparer to see if any of these fees can be deducted as a charitable donation.
Benefits Of Being A Camp Counselor In Thailand
- All counselors will participate in a two day orientation, including one day or orientation working with children.
- Orientation and accommodations are included in the program fee.
- Counselors will have the opportunity to help disadvantaged Thai youth learn an extremely important skill of speaking English.
- Accommodations are provided and based on double occupancy. Counselors will be placed with another counselor of the same gender. Counselors must pay electricity and water charges.
- Counselors receive transportation and accommodation when traveling and conducting camps in different regions.
What you can expect as a camp counselor in Thailand
Counselors will arrive in Bangkok and check into accommodations for orientation.
Counselors will travel to different schools and locations throughout Thailand and participate in English camps for disadvantaged children. Camp counselors will work three at each camp, but workdays will vary depending on camp schedules. It is the perfect way to explore Thailand- from the beaches to the mountains.
The expectations we have of our camp counselors
- Work two days each at each camp program plus one day which includes a school visit and camp preparation.
- Show care with the children; interact with them in a professional manner.
- Be respectful of GeoVisions’ rules and requirements, as well as the local culture.
- Follow the detailed rules set out in the GeoVisions Terms and Conditions document, which must be signed and returned before beginning the camp program.
The requirements to be a camp counselor in Thailand
- Applicants must be native English speakers.
- You must be in good physical and mental health.
- You must be aged 19+.
- Applicants must hold a valid passport from the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, or the United States.
What’s included in the program fee
- Airport Pickup (provided applicant lands within the arrival guidelines).
- Welcome dinner.
- Breakfast and lunch provided during camp days.
- All accommodations during the program.
- Basic Thai language instruction.
- Orientation for two days.
- Transportation to and from camps.
- Accident and health insurance for US citizens.
- Approximately $15 “Thank You” each camp day. Expect around 10+ camp days during your four weeks in Thailand.
What is not included in the program fee
- Dinners and all meals when not at camp.
- Accommodations before or after the program.
- Extra luggage fees.
July 1, 2018 to July 29, 2018 (arrival and departure dates)
2 days at each camp plus a day for a school visit and camp lesson preparation. There are 5 camps during this program. (These days may be during the week and/or on weekends.)
Included. GeoVisions provides a 2-day orientation program in Bangkok, Thailand that covers Thai language, culture and society. There is also one day or “hands on” experience.
Native English speaker
Basic Thai language during orientation.
Arrival into Bangkok and then transfer to the different camps. Camps are in different locations throughout Thailand so you will be able to see different areas of Thailand in the process.
Not included. You can get your tourist visa in advance of departure or at the airport when you land. The cost is around $40.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through iNext/Nationwide. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
GeoVisions will provide transportation and accommodations when traveling and conducting camps in different regions.
Included throughout the program. Counselors will live in modern accommodations that include Wi-Fi, air-conditioning, and are convenient to our offices and campus. The accommodations provided are based on double occupancy.
3 breakfasts and 2 lunches are included during orientation. All meals are included while at the camps.
NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!