Live with a host family in Austria and help them learn English.
A perfect blend of culture and language exchange. Teach English in Austria and live with a screened Austrian family and agree to help them with their conversational English. Your room and meals are included with your program fee, plus you can learn or improve your German through total immersion.
Live in one of the world’s most beautiful places. Mountains, lakes and deep alpine valleys. Food and wine, and Vienna’s gritty eloquence. Austria has lots of culture to get into, and iconic landscapes for getting away from it all.
Be ready to get to know and love the everyday life in Austria, enjoy a second home with new friends, become more independent and confident, learn or improve your German, discover new interests, put your organizational and creative skills to the test, get to know yourself better, add an international reference to your resume in order to help with future job applications as you tutor English to a family in Austria.
This is a great program for people who want to experience life in Austria and the Austrian culture in-depth. The program has a focus on cultural exchange and host families are not only excited to learn English but also love to share the characteristics of their country, culture and cuisine.
Add “Personal Language Tutor” to your resume, supported by an official Certificate of Completion and a formal letter of goals met or exceeded along with the number of hours completed to meet those goals. Gain experience tutoring conversational English with measurable goals to show a supervisor or add to your resume.
- 1, 2 or 3 months.
- $1,549 no matter the length of your stay.
<iframe src=”http://www.ratemystudyabroad.com/widget/generator/program/4443/14484/320/477/0/1/1/0,3753″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ style=”border:none; overflow:hidden; width:320px;height:507px;” allowTransparency=”true”></iframe>
If you are researching various programs, be sure you ask:
No other organization provides this level of support. Go ahead and ask them.
Your insurance package. The insurance was specifically designed for home tutors. We want you to be fully covered for sickness as well as accident, and to the extent that you are not a financial burden on your host family.
LiveTravel™ service for you 24/7. This covers lost documents like Passports and airline tickets, where to find a local doctor or other services you may need. This service is used a lot, and much more often than the insurance.
Liability insurance coverage. If something unpredictable happens, you need to know we’re behind you.
Costs to interview families overseas, support for those families, salaries and overheads in our offices abroad.
Support costs abroad, as well as 24/7 manned phones in the U.S. and the training of those operators.
Materials such as our teaching ideas manual, which you will download. That also includes other materials, the cost of maintaining our Community Pages and the subscription to the ESL Lounge.
Support from our Help Me Teach desk, providing you individualized support and ideas when you need them.
Fees to translate documents to English, when necessary.
Credit Card processing fees, international wire fees to send your money abroad, and legal fees.
The costs to prepare your extensive packet of materials to send to your host family and salaries for people to do that.
Marketing costs we pay to GoAbroad, GoOverseas, TransitionsAbroad and elsewhere to find more tutors like you, and to marketing costs overseas to let families know about this program.
Maintenance of this website.
Costs to set up and maintain a program like this in 18 different countries.
Staff training, salaries and overheads.
Support to you from enrollment to departure.
- Travel for less. The program is designed to provide plenty of time to experience the Austrian culture. Many other tutors have had time to travel all over Austria and other parts of Europe.
- Do you want to learn German or brush up on your language skills? If available near your placement, GeoVisions will provide assistance in identifying suitable language lessons. Language classes are optional and at an additional expense.
- Exclusive teaching materials written by GeoVisions that you can print out and take with you. Plus your free subscription to the ESL Lounge provides many items to help you with your conversations such as worksheets, flash cards and games.
- Personalized help with lesson plans through our Help Me Teach desk. Having lesson plans is important and the most frequently requested assistance we receive. Some tutors just don’t know where to start and need help identifying what to teach according to the ages of the family members. We are here to provide that assistance FREE. Email Betsy as often as you like. Or even Skype with her.
- Tip the advantage to you by enhancing your resume. Job: “Private Language Tutor.” References: Global. It just doesn’t get any better than that.
- You “meet” your family in advance through email, phone calls or Skype. Each family is interviewed and screened by full time staff in Austria.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Share your language with your host family up to 15 hours each week. You should work out your schedule with your host family in advance or immediately upon arrival. Your primary reason for being there is to provide conversation in your language. The family knows that and they are expecting you to set the teaching schedule in advance and bring materials with you that will help the family learn. This is your responsibility. Although you are a guest, they are expecting to take the lead from you.
- Using GeoVisions’ teaching materials that you download and bring with you, and your free Internet subscription to the online ESL Lounge along with your creativity, provide creative, fun and informative language sessions. If you get stumped and need specific help, our personalized Help Me Teach desk is always there for you to use. Here are plenty of examples from the Help Me Teach desk in our GeoVisions Blog.
- Keep your room tidy and clean and respect the host family’s rules and habits. Sleeping late everyday, spending your days in your room and not being accessible to the family is not respectful. Nor is it respectful to be on the Internet, your iPad or cell phone most of the time.
- Manage your own personal expenses (telephone bills, clothing, entertainment and spending money).
What You Receive For Your Program Fee
- Personalized volunteer placement through our partner in Austria with a pre-screened family. In other words, a place to call “home” in Europe.
- A comfortable, safe place to live in Austria, including three meals per day when you are with your host family.
- An experienced U.S. based GeoVisions Program Manager who will serve as your coordinator and liaison with our in-country staff in Austria.
- In-country basic language assistance.
- Professional, locally-based staff to provide orientation, supervision and guidance throughout your stay. In some instances due to location, it may be necessary to receive orientation by telephone or may require you to travel a short distance to the office to receive orientation there if you want it.
- Extensive medical, and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation insurance. Our insurance covers you up to $50,000 and carries a $0 deductible and is good for the entire duration of your program. We also include trip delay insurance, baggage loss and delay coverage, missed connection coverage and LiveTravel™ Emergency Service.
- Pre-departure materials, orientation information, full access to GeoVisions’ Community Pages for in-depth information and access to former and current tutors.
- A toll-free 24-hour emergency hotline in the U.S. Call collect from Austria. Our emergency line is manned by real people.
- Our own manual, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English To Families and Children, which you download and take with you to Austria if you want.
- Premium online membership at the ESL-Lounge for access to game, flash-cards, worksheets.
- Unlimited access to GeoVisions’ exclusive Help Me Teach desk, to assist you with ideas that relate to your situation.
- Meet your family before you leave home via email and Skype. You will receive full information about your host family before you even accept the position.
Flexible. Actual arrival date is coordinated between you and your host family.
15 hours per week, determined by the family. But you need to propose a schedule as the family looks to you for that.
A formal orientation is not given. If there is a local coordinator in your area, you will be able to have an orientation by that person. Otherwise, you can also call our office in each country for orientation and for assistance locally.
You must be a native English or native French speaker.
If available near your placement, assistance is provided in identifying language lessons. The cost of language classes is not included in your program fee. You will be able to send your Austrian family language goals to your host family in advance of arrival. They agree to assist you to meet these goals.
18+. And yes, we can place “mature” travelers.
Cities and towns all around Austria.
No visa will be needed.
Extensive medical and accident insurance along with emergency evacuation, baggage loss and delay, trip delay and LiveTravel™ emergency assistance included.
Depending on your host family, meet and greet at the airport is sometimes included. You will want to work this out in advance with your host family.
You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.
NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!