Live with a host family in Brazil and help them learn English.
Teach English in Brazil and live like a local for 1 to 2 months when you tutor English to a family in Brazil. Don’t worry if you’ve never done this before! Your new host family is more interested in learning conversational English than they are grammar. Teach English in Brazil actually becomes Speak English in Brazil! You will have so much fun living in Brazil by simply speaking English the way you normally do at home. In addition, you also have a unique opportunity to learn or improve your Portuguese! In a matter of hours you’re walking around your new community like a true Brazilian. It won’t take long for the locals to start recognizing you and for you to consider your host community your new home. It’s real and authentic. Get to know the locals. Wake up each day and feel a connection. Most of all, make a difference in your host community and host family.
- At a minimum, be 18 years of age. We also place a lot of mature travelers looking for a different way to travel and connect with new people and explore different cultures.
- Being a native English speaker helps. For example, it is a real plus if you hold a passport from the USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand or Australia.
- Speak conversational English up to 15 hours each week. Schedule a few classes each week at home with your host family to speak English.
What you receive
- You will have your own private room.
- We include 3 meals each day.
- Weekends are normally free to experience the culture by traveling around Brazil.
- Live like a local in one of the world’s most captivating places.
- 1 or 2 months.
- $1,359 covers the 1 or 2 months stay.
The fee you pay to tutor in Brazil goes to our 501(c)(3) non-profit company, The GeoVisions Foundation. The program donation for this experience covers our costs of placing you on the program in a safe host family and neighborhood. The fee helps our non-profit to provide your accommodation, meals, insurance, pre-departure & in-country support. We provide 24/7 emergency service, manned by real people. We update our tutor materials and tutoring aids constantly and provide a real ESL Teacher who is here via email to give you personalized assistance if you feel you need ideas. You are supported from the moment you contact us to the time you return … and beyond, through our active Alumni Community.
What are the benefits of this experience?
- A second home with new friends.
- You are more independent and confident.
- Your Portuguese improves because of the immersion. You are now a local.
- New interests discovered and experienced.
- Your organizational and creative skills are put to the test.
- Get to know yourself better.
- You are helping your host family realize their goals of speaking English. You will make a lasting and sustainable impression.
- Add an international reference to your resume which helps with future job applications because of your experience tutoring English to a family in Brazil.
- Personalized placement with a screened host family. In other words, a place to call home in South America. Our unique matching system ensures a great fit.
- A comfortable private bedroom for the duration of the program.
- Home-cooked meals each day except when you’re traveling.
- Local office support in Brazil.
- Pre-departure materials.
- Comprehensive medical insurance if you’re from the US.
- Our own mobile app for pre-departure information, teaching ideas, teaching worksheets and the ability to chat with other GeoVisions participants.
- Private Language Tutor experience to enhance your resume.
- Full immersion Portuguese language through your host family.
What’s Not Included?
- Your flight to Brazil.
- Any Visa fee as you enter Brazil.
- Meals when you travel or go out on your own.
- Spending money for personal expenses, when you travel or optional activities.
How does GeoVisions choose families in Brazil?
Host families contact us because they want to provide room and board to a native English speaker who will help them with their conversational English. When there are children in the family, mostly they need help with their English homework, but many times the adults want to join in as well.
Families are screened. They have to show a need and a desire to host an English tutor. And they have to pass a background check, an interview by staff in Brazil and agree to a home inspection and provide photos of the home (inside and out). Tutors are promised their own private room but there are times a bathroom might be shared. Families provide meals except when the tutor is traveling.
Does GeoVisions provide materials to help me be successful? How am I supported?
Not only do we provide our own book, A Tutor’s Guide–Teaching English to Families and Children (this is included in our mobile app), you receive FREE teaching materials through our mobile app. We employ a full time ESL Teacher, right here on staff. Betsy is here for you before you depart and while you’re abroad. Email Help Me Teach (or chat with Betsy with our mobile app). She will answer your questions and provide detailed and personalized ideas to help you be successful.
Can I choose my location?
For the most authentic experience living each day in Brazil, you cannot choose your exact location. What you can do is tell us the area where you’d like to be and whether or not you’d like a large city, a small town or rural placement. And we’ll try our best. Remember … the host families choose us when they need a live-in tutor and so timing is everything. There are many locations that you may not have considered prior to applying that are fantastic places in Brazil. (We can tell you about many tutors that have loved their locations!)
What if I don’t like my placement when I arrive or I have host family issues? Can I move?
Before you depart, we connect you via email, phone and Skype with your new host family. You’ll have all the details you want before you ever leave home. GeoVisions spends a great deal of time on match-making. There needs to be a “connection” between you and your host family.
After you arrive if you begin having issues with your host family, we have a way to start the process to fix things or, change your placement, if necessary. This is extremely rare, but we’ve done this long enough to know things can come up on all sides.
Can I be placed with someone? I’d like to travel with a friend.
Unfortunately, host families needing a tutor generally have the room for one extra person in the home. So we are unable to provide a homestay for anyone except the tutor. If you want to apply with someone else, they would be placed with another family. We would try hard to find a host family so you would be close to one another, but we could not guarantee that. If you’re set on traveling with someone, take a look at our other program types, because we do have those kinds of placements. Give us a call and ask.
Find out more by reading some posts written by our own participants in Brazil on our SeekExperiences Blog.
Flexible. Actual arrival date is coordinated between you and your host family. Positions available year round. We do not have set departure dates for this program.
15 hours per week, determined by the family. But you need to propose a schedule as the family looks to you for that.
A formal orientation is not given. If there is a local coordinator in your area, you will be able to have an orientation by that person. Otherwise, you can call our office in Brazil for orientation and for assistance locally.
You must be a native English speaker.
If available near your placement, assistance is provided in identifying language lessons. The cost of language classes is not included in your program fee. But don’t forget that this is a total immersion program. You will improve your Portuguese dramatically by living with a host family.
18+. And yes, we can place “mature” travelers.
Belo Horizonte area mainly. Based on host family locations.
Not included. Visa required for US passport holders. Costs not included. Please allow a minimum of 15 days to obtain your visa.
Your continued good health and safety during your time abroad is of critical importance to GeoVisions, and to the success of the program.
With the new healthcare and insurance laws in the United States, GeoVisions cannot legally provide travel, health and accident insurance on our group plan for any participant who resides outside the US. If that is you, we hope you will still participate with us. We struggle to understand these insurance laws in our country every day.
For US Citizens, GeoVisions has arranged accident and health insurance services through STA Travel. You will be sent details of the plan appropriate to you before departure. Please read the information about the plan carefully.
If you reside outside the US, please find out if your current health insurance plan covers you when you travel. If it does not, you will need to purchase an insurance plan separately. Then, simply send us a scan or photo of your insurance card. It’s that simple. And for the record, we don’t understand or agree with these laws either. We will provide you a list of organizations in your country to obtain low-cost travel and accident insurance.
GeoVisions takes your health very seriously. We have specially trained staff on duty 24 hours a day, 7-days a week to assist you wherever you are.
Depending on your host family, meet and greet at the airport is sometimes included. You will want to work this out in advance with your host family.
You will stay with a host family and have a private bedroom.
3 meals per day are included when you are with your host family. When you are traveling on your own, you will need to provide your own meals.
NO RISK & NO OBLIGATION to Get Started Today!